Dust minimization in tub with canopy?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NathanJG

Reaction score
Just chasing thoughts on whether I should fit a vent on the canopy roof or save the dollars and just drive with the front window of the canopy open a bit?? (to try and reduse the amount of dust that gets sucked in the enormous gaps in the tailgate) I do intend onm placing some aluminium strips as suggested on other posts.

Front window will work as good as any vent.

Don't forget the D22's also had large gaps in the front panel of the tub. I can't remember who posted photos but some if not all models had holes right up near the top of the front panel which someone photographed and showed how to seal. It may be in the D40 tub sealing thread I can't remember.

Best way to keep dust out is with positive pressure as you have allready worked out by the sounds. on our canopys we usually put a skin fitting(like on a boat) or some sort of ram and run it to a air filter. usually use custom made ally boxes that house commodore filter panel. you will also have to run the hose from the outside to filter up so rain doesnt come all the way in or put a snake bend in the pipe with a water drain.
Work really well unfortunatly it only keeps out dust not water :(

Would keep out water if you hit the crossing at 60kmh i guess :-/

The reason we run air filters on them is so if your second or third in a pack your not pushing in dusty air

depending on where you live. here in newcastle there is a place called ovesco they sell all kinds of rubber seal stuf i got a couple of different types that had self adheasive on them and i recon my tub would float, or i could fill it with water and swim in it. ovesco also sell all the stuf like draw slides and rams for your canopys/campers etc i think they are australia wide just google them

depending on where you live. here in newcastle there is a place called ovesco they sell all kinds of rubber seal stuf i got a couple of different types that had self adheasive on them and i recon my tub would float, or i could fill it with water and swim in it. ovesco also sell all the stuf like draw slides and rams for your canopys/campers etc i think they are australia wide just google them

Any pics of how exactly you have sealed up around your tail gate with seals?

Front window will work as good as any vent.

Don't forget the D22's also had large gaps in the front panel of the tub. I can't remember who posted photos but some if not all models had holes right up near the top of the front panel which someone photographed and showed how to seal. It may be in the D40 tub sealing thread I can't remember.

I'd like to see these pics as i've sealed the holes under the side lips of the tub with weather tape but the large gaps at the front of the tub I haven't been able to seal. At the moment i've just jammed a hunk of old seat foam into either side.

Also the bottom edge of the tailgate was easy to seal with some self adhesive foam seal from bunnings but i've had less success using it on the sides of the tailgate due to the nature of the hinges opening and closing. I'm all ears as to how to seal up those sections.

I can't remember which thread those pics where in. I know I used the picture in the D40 thread but I used it for something else. It was a white D22 and it was posted before our big discussion on the D40 tub sealing so I'm guessing it's got to be sometime in 09. I have an idea the guy used that expanding foam stuff but I can't remember. If I get time later I'll try and find the thread.

Any pics of how exactly you have sealed up around your tail gate with seals?

my camera is f###$d so sorry no pics but basicly i just put a ruber seal anywhere i could see light stuck to the lead edge so to speek of sids of tail gate ind along bottom of gate also then hn a nice sunny day just hop in tub close gate and lay under torneau cover look for light that simple

Nathan I've used a rubber seal between the tail gate and edge to help with the sealing of the tub. Brought it from Clark Rubber here in Adelaide about 18 months ago. Also I put tape over the holes under the tub lip at the same time to help. Spent 7 days driving around the Flinders Rangers(Mt Arden, up to Chambers Gorge and back down to Yunta then home) and I was pleased with the result but will need to spent more time sealing the rest of the holes not sealed. All the best with sealing your tub. Steve

Attachments

• IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1598.jpg
    IMG_1598.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1615.jpg
    IMG_1615.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1619.jpg
    IMG_1619.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1627.jpg
    IMG_1627.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 188
Thanks for the replies. Will have to have a good look under the tub lip, haven't noticed any holes up there but mine has a spray in tub liner. Would those holes had to been plugged before they did the lining???Clark rubber probably sounds like a good place to start.

Is driving with the front window on the canopy all the way open going to change fuel economy? Traveling at 100km/hr? I normally travel with a dog in the tray and don't want her to get too hot with all the windows shut.

If there is any change it will be very very tiny. Unless it's pissing down with rain my front window is always open, even in showers providing I am driving I don't worry about the front window.

This is what i come up with mate, aliminum powder coated.. fairly solid unit.. works well, dog loves it also got his nose sticking out it most the time.. only problem is dust when behind another vehicle on dirt roads.. water doesnt really get in unless real heavy down pour but usually shut then anyway.

Attachments

• 20120411_56.jpg
    20120411_56.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 20120411_58.jpg
    20120411_58.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 82
There has been people seal it but realistically there is so many gaps in the tub and tailgate totally sealing the the thing is a prick of a job. There is gaps in the front of D22 tubs apparently, there is gaps in the tailgate, there can be air gaps where bolts are and the list goes on.

There is a thread in the D40 section about sealing the tub plenty have had a go at different areas.

Yea sealing all the gaps to make dust tight would be near impossible imo, which is why fitting the scupper was the best option for myself. the gaps help keep a positive airpressure running through the tub as well i think.

bumping an old topic for some information

i have a Flexiglas sports canopy and wish to pressurize/ vent the canpy for an upcoming simpson desert trip in july(plenty of time). ive sealed the tailgate with pinchweld and its worked well, but not the best as i did the cape in 2012 and the dust ws incredible and everything in the canopy was covered in dust, including the fridge fan and condenser(not happy). So this year id like to reduce it(keep the missus happy) so we can have things a bit cleaner and stuff. I will be installed a drawer system aswell and covering it in marine carpet.

I purchased an ARB Vent for the canopy but have since realised that the power wire for the interior ight shoots directly across the middle of the canopy right in the path of my vent.

Any other ideas would be great?

thanks

Latest posts

Back