egr blank questions

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate

Reaction score
Hi
With the 2012 D22 with yd25 When i do the EGR blank, i have read that i should install a dawes valve to protect my engine, is this true?
Also do i have to fit a catch can? Will the EGR blank increase the need for the catch can?
Cheers

you won't need to install a dawes valve. they were only useful for the older 3lt patrols in helping control the boost, the d22 runs a different type of turbo so it doesn't have any need for one.

you don't have to fit a catch can. it is recommended anyway, but blocking the egr probably reduces the need to fit one more than anything as it stops exhaust gas going back through the intake

They're three entirely separate things.

EGR is an emission control device targeted specifically at reducing combustion temperatures thus lowering the production of NOx during the combustion process. Unfortunately it also results in increased fuel consumption and increased soot in the exhaust stream.

The catch can attempts to remove oil from the intake. As combustion occurs inside the cylinder, some of the gas escapes past the piston rings entering the crankcase. To prevent this from pressurising the crankcase and causing other issues, there's an opening in the top of the camshaft cover at the rear that allows the gas to escape. However, because it's super-hot, it also carries small quantities of vapourised crankcase oil. All of this is reintroduced into the intake manifold so that the oil vapour is combusted rather than being sprayed onto the road. Catch cans are NOT vital and you don't really gain a lot of performance by using one. You DO keep the intake cleaner and this is more important if you're using an intercooler.

A Dawes Valve controls boost. Depending on your turbocharger, you may or may not need one - see bods' post, you probably won't.

thee dawes valve is for variable turbo which the d22 doesn't have.
however a ball spring type boost controller will help with turbo spool up.

I know there is a thread somewhere that shows you where to blank etc etc but I have been searching and cant find it. Can someone please link it and what is the thinnest stainless steel I should use? Hoping to make on up this weekend

Trent, they're stickied in this forum section. Here's a link to the super thread. If that's not the right one for you, just pop into the D22 Engine section and look at the top.

I'd say anything 1mm or better would be satisfactory. 2mm stainless is a heavy chunk and hard to machine, but if you can do it, yeah go for it.

Mine's 1mm thick and still in excellent condition.

So am I right in thinking that all I have to do is make a blanking plate and put in in place of the gasket where I am pointing in the picture?

Attachments

• 20131121_170721.jpg
    20131121_170721.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 181
A bloke gave me some stainless steel the other day but its like 3mm which obviously isnt going to effect it but will be noticeable difference. Should I get some thinner stuff?

Back