EGR mod on d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easy Mod, noticed a slight improvement in fuel economy, feels like it hits peak torque a bit lower - maybe around 18-19000 rpm.

It still blows a wee bit of black smoke though if I boot it off the line, but nothing like it used to. I am assuming that is because that is because it runs a bit rich and dumps excess fuel into the motor untill the boost has spooled up.

Definately worth doing though, the build up of crap in the EGR pipe is rediculous. How that can be an intentional design is beyond my imagination.

Guys, excuse my ignorance, just wanted to know if the exhaust gas recirculation mod has more pros than cons. I drive a D40 2.5 diesel navara, and wanted to get as much performance out of the D40 by doing safe but effective mods. Let me know what yall think.

The only con I found was the 20min it took me to fit, the rest was all positive better fuel economy as it's not losing boost around 1700-2000rpm , 1l / 100k better so it has already paid for its self calculated to be about $144 since fitting it

Guys, excuse my ignorance, just wanted to know if the exhaust gas recirculation mod has more pros than cons. I drive a D40 2.5 diesel navara, and wanted to get as much performance out of the D40 by doing safe but effective mods. Let me know what yall think.

There are TWO cons to the mod:

1) It takes time (30 mins tops) and a couple of bucks investment to get it done

2) It's technically illegal but really, really hard to detect, especially when the visible output of the engine (ie black smoke) is reduced, everyone thinks you've increased the emission controls not removed them!

There will be a small rise in exhaust gas temps in mid-range but they will never get to peak temps that you'll get at full throttle. At full throttle, the EGR valve is closed anyway - so when the engine is under maximum load with maximum throttle, the EGR block is not actually changing the car's operation.

2) It's technically illegal but really, really hard to detect, especially when the visible output of the engine (ie black smoke) is reduced, everyone thinks you've increased the emission controls not removed them!

There will be a small rise in exhaust gas temps in mid-range but they will never get to peak temps that you'll get at full throttle. At full throttle, the EGR valve is closed anyway - so when the engine is under maximum load with maximum throttle, the EGR block is not actually changing the car's operation.

So basically I'm going to get more black smoke, but I'm going to spool turbo faster in the mid range? Excuse my ignorance........ I'm very thankful to join this forum and I hope in the future my experiences and knowledge could help someone as much as you guys are helping me. Thanks

So basically I'm going to get more black smoke, but I'm going to spool turbo faster in the mid range? Excuse my ignorance........ I'm very thankful to join this forum and I hope in the future my experiences and knowledge could help someone as much as you guys are helping me. Thanks

Just noticed your location there. I would have a guess and say that your model is not fitted with EGR anyway. Easy to tell, there will be a plate over where the EGR valve is normaly situated and no pipe running from the exhaust manifold to it.

Basically you'll get LESS black smoke AND faster spool at low and medium rpm. The faster spool won't be hugely noticeable - it might only be a very slight improvement.

That's on the condition, of course, that you DO have an EGR valve in the first place - Tappet raises an interesting point!

The EGR valve in the D40 4-cylinder engine is at the front of the intake manifold, and from it will be a gold pipe that crosses around the front of the motor to the exhaust manifold near the turbocharger. If you don't have that, you don't need to worry about this at all!

Yeah I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Navaras delivered to Central America and the Caribbean didn't have them. Lucky them. And if memory serves me correctly they were all Thai built trucks not American.

Basically you'll get LESS black smoke AND faster spool at low and medium rpm. The faster spool won't be hugely noticeable - it might only be a very slight improvement.

That's on the condition, of course, that you DO have an EGR valve in the first place - Tappet raises an interesting point!

The EGR valve in the D40 4-cylinder engine is at the front of the intake manifold, and from it will be a gold pipe that crosses around the front of the motor to the exhaust manifold near the turbocharger. If you don't have that, you don't need to worry about this at all!

Thanks again. Yeah I'm from Trinidad in the Caribbean. But I'm offshore at the moment, so when I return to land on Friday I'll check under the Bonnet for the EGR.

Guess what guys, my d40 didn't come with the EGR.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140329_190518.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140329_190518.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 308
  • ForumRunner_20140329_190535.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140329_190535.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 298
Awesome. Does that look like the factory did it? From the photo (maybe it's just the fumes, I've been putting more urethane on the floor here) it looks like someone's just whacked a steel plate over it.

Guess what guys, my d40 didn't come with the EGR.

I have read of a few countries that dont require the EGR for their pollution rules so Nissan just dont install the unit at all for those countries, Obviously Trinidad is one of those that dont need it. Now if they would send them to us the same way!!

I wonder if there's a CONSULT (or similar device) command that is given to the car to activate or deactivate certain functions like EGR, or DPF regen, or even CAT reductant.

Hey Mate, can you confirm that I don't need a hole in the middle of the blanking plate?

Cheers,

You only need the hole if you've got an EGR sensor that's tripping up on the absence of EGR flow. No sensor - no need for hole. The only real way to know if yours is going to fall over on itself is to try it. It won't hurt the car, it'll just light up the check engine light.

Latest posts

Back