EGR mod on d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just found this forum and hope this will fix my issues. (High fuel usage and Poor performance)The engine has so much turbo lag around 2300 RPM before it seems to go.
Now for my question--- Blocking the EGR at the manifold with a 2.0mm plate. Do I fit the factory gasket as well as the plate? Or use silicone sealant type instead ??
As this is my first forum post (46 Y/O and techno retarded) any help is apreciated

Welcome to the forum!

You don't need to do either. Stick the plate in and it's all over. If the plate's flat you'll get hardly any exhaust escaping - it just won't travel down the pipe.

EGR mod plate

:thank_you2:Tony :))

Thanks for the advise. Have already removed the gasket and given it to a mate to draw a cutting file for his laser cutter.

Just found this forum and hope this will fix my issues. (High fuel usage and Poor performance)The engine has so much turbo lag around 2300 RPM before it seems to go.
Now for my question--- Blocking the EGR at the manifold with a 2.0mm plate. Do I fit the factory gasket as well as the plate? Or use silicone sealant type instead ??
As this is my first forum post (46 Y/O and techno retarded) any help is apreciated

I used the gasket on the pipe side to give it some additional sealing ability, but if your plate is flat probably no need.

hi , from what Ive read so far ,is this just for M/T D40? mine has a water line on the lower portion its a A/T 4x2 D40, do I need to have this blocked also or by-passed ? thanks

Ours has a water jacket in it too. You can block either end, doesn't matter really, the end closer to the EGR valve was easier to get to on mine so that was my choice. Ignore the water lines, no need to touch 'em.

Last edited:
Mine has been blocked off for a couple months now and has made a great difference in fuel economy and no black smoke anymore. I just used a bit of 1.5mm ally plate with sikaflex to seal it. job done

I finally did mine the other day. Wasnt really a hard job. To be honest I can't feel any difference driving it, but there was a lot of black crap inside the EGR pipe, so I am glad thats not going back through the intake anymore.

Mine wasnt terribly smoky before (at least not from the drivers seat view) so I will keep an eye on any smoke it may or may not still produce. I just filled the tank yesterday so will report beck in a week or 2 with the consumption figures.

Please excuse me for intruding here but I suppose that even my english is better than most of your romanian speaking abilities, I would prefer here a tutorial WITH PICTURES FOR DUMMIES in order to explain how to f...ing do that EGR blanking thing. I've been searching on the net for that englisman that sells blanc gaskets but I couldn't find him. So if someone can do it, please! Thanks a lot guys and keep up the good work!

I don't know how many tutorials you'll find that will suit you or how many will have pictures for you but do a search on this site for EGR, there is more than a dozen threads relating to the EGR mod. They aren't all for the D40 but many of them have steps other owners took to make it happen and many of those who have done the mod have done it using those threads so you should find some help there.

hi. how can i make the egr plate? i've seen it's with a 2mm plate but the drawing of it how it's done?

best regards

mario

The simple way is to unbolt the EGR manifold on the vehicle's right side (near the intake manifold, at the front), remove the gasket and draw around the outline of the gasket on a blank piece of stainless steel.

Drill out the two bolt holes, cut out the shape of the gasket and leave the centre as metal - don't remove the material. Essentially you're only replacing the gasket with a gasket that is missing the hole.

Be careful when cutting the material, don't push too hard and bend it. Bent metal rarely returns perfectly straight, so the best job would be done with a laser cutter. I used a brand new hacksaw blade and lots of gentle strokes.

The simple way is to unbolt the EGR manifold on the vehicle's right side (near the intake manifold, at the front), remove the gasket and draw around the outline of the gasket on a blank piece of stainless steel.

Drill out the two bolt holes, cut out the shape of the gasket and leave the centre as metal - don't remove the material. Essentially you're only replacing the gasket with a gasket that is missing the hole.

Be careful when cutting the material, don't push too hard and bend it. Bent metal rarely returns perfectly straight, so the best job would be done with a laser cutter. I used a brand new hacksaw blade and lots of gentle strokes.

I used some O2 sensor safe sealant - just to make sure there were no leaks.

Howdy I have blocked the EGR today same side as 4.8GU said. used a thin sheet of ally, a little thicker than the gasket, fitted a treat. No problems at start up and no problems after driving 10kms so far.

TC

Hi, you might want to have another look at that, a friend of mine also used a thin aluminum sheet and the thing just melted into the EGR pipe. Lots of aluminum bits stuck inside. Best use something thicker, 1.5-2mm, preferably stainless steel.

Thanks Fabs

Keen to hear from anyone with an AUTO.

Arty

Had mine done last week, left the pipes in and just blocked the exit side off. Used a 2mm stainless steel plate and replaced the metal gasket with a liquid gasket. I'll probably need to remove the pipe and put a thicker plate in if I decide to get an EGT gauge.

What is the heat exchanger/ cooler in the pipeline for the EGR for?
There are 2 hoses coming out of it so I assume its for something. Now by blocking the pipe off with a blanking plate, will this stop the cabin heater working or something else?
I intend on doing the mod which seems very easy but i dont want to lose a function/ capability by doing so.
cheers

What is the heat exchanger/ cooler in the pipeline for the EGR for?
There are 2 hoses coming out of it so I assume its for something. Now by blocking the pipe off with a blanking plate, will this stop the cabin heater working or something else?
I intend on doing the mod which seems very easy but i dont want to lose a function/ capability by doing so.
cheers

Just leave the exchanger hoses untouched and block either end i.e. manifold end which is harder to get to, or the inlet end which is where I did it.

I planned on leaving the hoses on, I just wanted to know what the exchanger is for?
Just curious

Latest posts

Back