EGR mod on d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I'm very new to the forum but now trading up to a new one from a gu patrol zd30 blanked that egr but found problems with maf voltages will I have the same situation with the 2.5

Hi I'm very new to the forum but now trading up to a new one from a gu patrol zd30 blanked that egr but found problems with maf voltages will I have the same situation with the 2.5

Brand new 2.5 D40 Thai built here, no problems after 3000kms with the EGR blanking plate.

Cleaning the plate won't make a difference. Nothing's going through the pipe anyway.

It might give peace of mind that the rather flammable soot is taken out. If it catches fire - and it needs somewhere over 600C to do it, which it won't ordinarily see anything close to - it will burn rather well.

But because there's no flow through it, cleaning it could be considered optional.

Anybody on here know if I need the hole in the blank plate for a 2011 RX nav?? I just picked up a generic plate from ChipIt with the hole pre-drilled, but would rather not have it if I can get away with it.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, discovered I missed the last few pages reading thru the thread, where all that was discussed (several times)!!

Last edited:
Hello,

Just found this forum on google after searching for my problem with EGR sensor, I have a check engine light and after reading it got the error P0409.

Just spend long time reading all 45 pages yesterday and last night after work I startto make the blocking plate (4mm steel was the only thing I got). Now just after about 70km I have notice big different in the car and so far it's only good things.

Before I was at 14,8 l/100km just on the this 70km it drop down to 12,6 l/100km there is bit more power and the turbo works better. After about 50km in to the drive last night and the motor was warm and nice I notice bit RPM drop when driving on steady RPM (around 2000 rpm) it was droping down 1-200 rpms for few seconds not sure what that is but it was doing it before as well much more often.

Just want to tank everyone in here for this good information on how to install the blocking plate, was really useful information here and some really good photos as well to ex-plane better for non mechanic person like me.

Car is Navara 2008 2,5L TD automatic, have another one that is 2006 manual and next week I am gone install blocking plate in that one as well.

Petur - PolarBear / Iceland

Hi all,
do I have to unplug the electric plug to the EGR?

I have blocked the EGR with 3mm stainless steel plate already.

Kernels is absolutely right (I know because I tried this and got the CEL). Just blocking the flow of gas is enough to achieve the goal.

If you have a very recent model car, yours might have a flow sensor in the EGR valve. The only way to defeat that is to either reprogram the ECU (which we don't do, especially since the dealer could reprogram it at the next service) or drill a small (4 to 6mm) hole in the middle of the blocking plate to allow a small amount past the plate to satisfy the flow sensor.

Ok well have now done this mod with a very unexpected outcome, have travelled today to my southern office and fuel economy reported 7.5l/100 did the same trip yesterday prior to installing the plate and the trip was 9.4l/100.
So only difference today was the plate, 336k round trip and today had 80l of distilled water on board .
I will keep an eye on this wasn't expecting this kind of change, will see what time tells.
Also it's a 2013 ST
19/12
Ok update been doing heaps of driving this week around town and hwy and still 7.5l /100k so it has made a difference so allowing for a bit of fudge 1.5l/100k better 900k since putting it in has paid for itself already gotta love mods like that.

Last edited:
Malicious -
I also have a 2013 ST and thinking of putting egr blanking plate in, just wondering if you drilled any holes into it?

Old tony-
You say that the newer ones will have a egr sensor, any way to tell? Or would I have to put one in blank and if an error comes up then maybe drill a hole into it? Thanks

That's how I'd do it, Toffa - I don't know enough about the new EGR valve to recognise the flow sensor.

The old valve has a 4-wire connector, I'd imagine the new one with the sensor should have a few extras?

No holes are needed on the 2013 d40 , mine has done 1500km since plate, cost $13 from UK for the plate and the fuel saving has paid for it twice , no errors even scanned obd no error codes.
All I can say Toffa is do it, best value mod I've ever done , long term better for your engine, short term better for your pocket.

Last edited:
Did this a few days ago to my 08 stx. I run the shell oil that is for exhaust gas re ventilation. It's around $79 5L in my area.. Can I buy a standard full synthetic now and save a few $ on oil changes ? I like to drop the oil every 7k so it adds up.

Did this a few days ago to my 08 stx. I run the shell oil that is for exhaust gas re ventilation. It's around $79 5L in my area.. Can I buy a standard full synthetic now and save a few $ on oil changes ? I like to drop the oil every 7k so it adds up.

I think you are confusing EGR(exhaust gas recirculation) and the DPF(diesel particulate filter).

Just because you have blocked off the EGR with a plate does not mean you can suddenly stop using a non DPF oil.

As for oil, you can get DPF compatible oil for around $120 - $140 for a 20l drum if you look hard at most diesel spares places.

Latest posts

Back