Egt gauge

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep 4-8 is probs too long...are you doing a post or pre turbo prob fitment.i think mine are 75mm -100mm long with a right angle bend.

Either remove the dump and do it on the bench.you really want a weld in bung..ive seen the screw in ones tho.not sure about them not rattling loose...also unsure on a d22 fitment.

Yeh is says the long probe suits exhausts 4" a 8", I will install in the 3" stainless Manta dump pipe. I'll be doing the drill and screw one camo.b, just easier and haven't heard any issues with coming loose.

I had my standard dump pipe drilled for a probe previously. It was a tapered thread. No issues with it working loose or leaking.

Now I have an XForce 3" system and had a bung welded on. The original probe was moved to pre turbo on a plate where the EGT pipe used to bolt to, on the turbo side of the engine. Again, no issues noted.

KB

1/8 npt thread sealed tip is what you want...long shaft one tho..the metric ones ive ordered are only suitable for alloy mounting

Why do you say the metric probe adaptors are only suitable for alloy mounting?
I installed my probe in the egr port in the exhaust manifold (egr pipe removed) by making a mild steel plate to fit over the port. I drilled and tapped an M8 thread and used the M8 thermocouple adaptor (Auber). It's working fine!

Why do you say the metric probe adaptors are only suitable for alloy mounting?
I installed my probe in the egr port in the exhaust manifold (egr pipe removed) by making a mild steel plate to fit over the port. I drilled and tapped an M8 thread and used the M8 thermocouple adaptor (Auber). It's working fine!

The metric ones i recieved were a coarse thread..i only like coarse theads on nuts and alloy.

Fair enough, mine is fine thread- M8 x 1mm. I also stuck some exhaust gasket glue around the thread and collar of the adapter to seal it and help secure it. So far so good.
Cheers.

I had my standard dump pipe drilled for a probe previously. It was a tapered thread. No issues with it working loose or leaking.

Now I have an XForce 3" system and had a bung welded on. The original probe was moved to pre turbo on a plate where the EGT pipe used to bolt to, on the turbo side of the engine. Again, no issues noted.

KB
Is the d22 standard dump cast iron? And thick?
Cast iron manifolds or dumps should have a 1/8 tapped hole.
Exhaust tubing should have a bung.
Anything else is asking for trouble..
Just my opionion tho...

Question..are your readings equil or higher with the diffrent probe locations?
On a d40...i had my probe in the egr port also..max temp 375ish °c...in reality pre turbo are 800°c +++ (as currently measured? i dont believe the egr port on a d40 nets you the correct temp reading... but were talking d22 here...

Fair enough, mine is fine thread- M8 x 1mm. I also stuck some exhaust gasket glue around the thread and collar of the adapter to seal it and help secure it. So far so good.
Cheers.

Sorry mate i thought i read that you stuck the probe thru the exhaust tubing!!! That would be a disaster!!

That will definatly stay there!!!
What sort of temps are your reading?

I've only had my egt gauge in for about 4 or 5 weeks and haven't done any towing or driving with a heavy load in the back but so far- from a cold start it idles at about 150C, normal driving around town I mainly see between 200C and 450C. Changing up to 5th gear and accelerating up a bit of a rise it will quickly climb to 550C. I'm probably a bit conservative but thus far I haven't pushed it any further. If I kept my foot down the temps would definitely keep climbing. With the engine hot, the idle temps drop very slowly from about 180C down to low 170's. Sometimes I have to turn the aircon off to get them down further before I shut down. This is in Darwin build up weather though- ambient daytime temps are well into the 30's.
I've just recently done my diy top mount intercooler so next on the agenda is a bonnet scoop & 6" thermo fan which I hope will lower the egt's & improve performance a bit.

Those are still very reasonable numbers when measuring pre turbo. I normally shut mine down around 150c post turbo. I estimate roughly how long it will take to get there and either leave the turbo timer at 1 min or adjust it up if needed.

As for operating range, generally 550c post turbo is considered safe. I drive a twin turbo 635hp acert c15 cat in the truck I use at work and the thermocouple in that is about 10cm from the back of the second turbo in the exhaust. Takes a long time to get the egt up in that though...

Pre turbo could be up around the 800c mark when post turbo is at 550c depending on how hard the engine is working though. ... on the freeway at 100km/h I get around 300c and accelerating anywhere between 400c and 450c, but if you keep the boot in up hills it will go above that.

I've only had my egt gauge in for about 4 or 5 weeks and haven't done any towing or driving with a heavy load in the back but so far- from a cold start it idles at about 150C, normal driving around town I mainly see between 200C and 450C. Changing up to 5th gear and accelerating up a bit of a rise it will quickly climb to 550C. I'm probably a bit conservative but thus far I haven't pushed it any further. If I kept my foot down the temps would definitely keep climbing. With the engine hot, the idle temps drop very slowly from about 180C down to low 170's. Sometimes I have to turn the aircon off to get them down further before I shut down. This is in Darwin build up weather though- ambient daytime temps are well into the 30's.
I've just recently done my diy top mount intercooler so next on the agenda is a bonnet scoop & 6" thermo fan which I hope will lower the egt's & improve performance a bit.

700-750 pre turbos o.k for short bursts.

Ben W do you drive diffrently now you have the egt gauge? Im sure when my ute was stock i never evn thought about it when towing..now with all extra fueling turned off/stock boost(chips off) i can easely get to 800°c (before i ease up) on a uphill climb with the car trailer.hate to think what it temps would have been when id just push the peddle further.

Camo.B, yeah, I reckon I accelerate a bit more smoothly and change gear at higher revs, instead of changing up at lower revs and whipping the old girl with the pedal flat as that's when the egt's seem to rise quickly. Like I said I haven't done much hard driving since having the gauge. Back in August we went up to Coburg Peninsular for a week, towing the boat, loaded up with camping gear plus about 180 litres of diesel and boat fuel. I wish I'd had the egt gauge then as I reckon the temps would have been getting up there. I know I can push the temps a bit more than I have been- when I first connected up the gauge I set the alarm light for 650C. I don't have a buzzer so I have just monitor the gauge. Thanks Bods and Rumpig too for the input, I will feel more comfortable now pushing the temps up to 700 or 750 if I need to.

Mine usually has around 80-100C difference between pre and post turbo.
Around town it usually runs between 200-300C post turbo. The highest I've seen is just on 400C when towing.

I haven't been able to get it high enough to test my high level alarm yet!

So can't you drill for the probe into Stainless dump pipe ? am I better off pulling exhaust out and welding
The aftermarket dump pipes aren't thick enough to be able to tap properly. You need to weld a bush with the appropriate thread in it on to fit it properly. Alternatively you can use the hose clamp method which works well too, I had my thermocouple fitted to the stock dump pipe like that for a good 3 years and never had any issues with it.

Latest posts

Back