Electric Brake Controller - Issue ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maulbeagle

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've recently fitted a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller (I know it's low-tech and most people use the Prodigy).
Without the trailer connected, if I'm accelerating (I have a 2010 D22 YD25) and activate the manual slide on the front of the brake controller, the acceleration stops/is limited. So the car keeps running but seems to be stuck at the current revs while I'm activating the control.
When I let go of the control the acceleration picks up again.
Doesn't seem like it should be normal behaviour.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited:
there not a bad unit. I have found 2 cars do this week. one was a newish patrol and one was a new triton. I have never noticed it before I don't know if it is a new feature or optional feature I have been meaning to look into it

I cant see how the controller could do that unless its wired wrong, they only pick up the brake light wire and power from the battery???

bryan

sounds like it is wired to the engine control wire and putting a load on it will make it play up most auto elecs head for that wire it cannot produce the current for elec brakes disconnect it and see how you go.

sorry not sure I understand what I need to disconnect ?
I wired it up myself, power wire direct to battery, signal wire to cold side of brake switch, earth to steel behind dashboard (also some other things earthed here), and brake output wire direct to trailer plug.

thanks

Unless the earth isn't perfect and it's drawing power through the instrument cluster/body control module/stereo which could make things unpredictable.

Application of the manual slide control should activate the car's brake lights. It is possible (Nissan have done stranger things) that with the brake lights active, it modifies the program for engine power (either boost cut, or fuel rate limiting). It would be an interesting exercise to watch what happens to various sensors when the manual lever is pulled.

I had a Voyager in mine, now have the Prodigy. Next time I've got the van out I'll give this a try and see what happens to boost/rail pressure etc when the manual override is applied. The input and output of the two devices is the same.

Thanks Tony.
I had also considered the Earth being less than perfect.
Also maybe it's emitting some interference that's messing with the ECU ?

Actually, mine does this WITHOUT the van being attached. Are you able to try this next time you're driving ? (tomorrow ?)

Last edited:
I didn't get to try until today.

No change to acceleration, but also no brake lights activated when I press the lever. It's possible that my controller is not installed correctly - but it's also possible that the brake lights will only be activated if the trailer is connected (the Prodigy is well aware of whether or not there is a trailer connected).

Yeah good point. I haven't checked to see if my brake lights come on when I activate the slide without the trailer on.
The Yoyager definitely knows when the trailer is there as well, as the green light on it lights up.

if the ECM sees the brakes being depressed it can cut power. Disconnect the controller, remove the brake switch from the pedal and operate the switch whilst driving. So you have no braking effort but a depressed brake switch. see if the same thing happens? Or if you have a twin pedal switch system (one for lamps/one for ECM), wire the controller into the other (lamps) switch

Some cars not sure about our navs but newish comys and some Toyotas have limits when you push the accelerator then the brake it stops you from further accelerating as a preventative measure to save the drive line maybe the ecu is receiving some power in put from the controller when you slide it and registering the brakes and accelerator being pressed at the same time. If the ecu has that feature in it.

this may be the answer ...

From http://www.nissan.co.th/en/Innovation/Quality/Control.aspx

That conviction lead to Nissan developing their Brake Override System before any other Japanese car manufacturer. The system ensures that, should both the electronic accelerator pedal and brake pedal be pushed at the same time, engine power is reduced, and the brake is always given precedence.

definitely seems to be the problem.
without touching the Electric Brake Controller, if I just lightly touch the brakes enough to trigger the switch but not have any braking effect, the acceleration/engine power is cut off.

Curious about this, I tried riding my brake today while applying the accelerator. I don't normally use the left foot for braking and I found it quite uncomfortable.

I noticed no drop in power. That probably means that my ECU was made before the time when dinosaurs drove around.

That's pretty interesting. I might have to try that on mine and see what happens... Not that I have a brake controller but just the accelerator and brake at the same time thing

Latest posts

Back