Engel Location and How?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NavMatt

Reaction score
Hi All,
Being new to the whole Ute scene I need a little advice on where to put everything in the New Truck the first question is how and where
have/do people locate their Engle in the Tray?
And what/how do you Tie/Fix it down when 4WDing I’m guessing with the Engle base! But any other suggestions Photos would be much appreciated.

:cheers!:
Matt

Matt have a look in some of the garages I think you'll find some pics of people's set ups. not sure who's running Engles and who isn't but there is plenty of people who have put in heaps of work and don't mind showing it off.

Myself I've got a Liemack fridge and it's nearly square and it sits quite happily in the back left corner just far enough away from the sides so that I can fully open the lid without pulling it out. The distance from the side and back also means tieing it down is pointless and so far I've never need to. I haven't taken it scrub bashing like that but I do take it down plenty of dirt tracks to fishing spots and it's rock solid.

Hi All,
Being new to the whole Ute scene I need a little advice on where to put everything in the New Truck the first question is how and where
have/do people locate their Engle in the Tray?
And what/how do you Tie/Fix it down when 4WDing I’m guessing with the Engle base! But any other suggestions Photos would be much appreciated.

:cheers!:
Matt

Matt,

This is where I put mine (see pic), made myself a fridge slide out of timber and some heavy duty draw runners, works a treat.

Arty

Attachments

• engel.JPG
    engel.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 236
Here's how I have secured my 80L Waeco using the utlitrac in the tray.

To get the other eyelet up the front I simply removed the bolts that secure the track and slid the eyelet in and then put the retaining bolts back in.

P1010443.jpg

and yes well know that the rear tailgate does not seal very well!!

The rails are standard, but the loop he's using isn't. The Nissan ones can be seen on the right in the attachment in this post above.

Quite right Tony! The Nissan tiedown points are too big to fit them in and the 80L fridge. So 5 mins at Bunnings fixed that small issue.

They are galvanised eyelets with a 40mm bolt two large flat washers.

I just jammed a screw driver between the bolt and the track to stop it turning and then did up the eyelet with a bar slotted through it so that I could get plenty of torque on it...

I'll take a pic tonight for you :)

Last edited:
Better late then never!

Had to put the fridge back in today as we're off to do the Border Track this weekend.

So some pics of my 'fridge in the ute tub' installation

Step 1. Go to Bunnings and buy these (2 x40mm bolts, four large flat washers and 2 x eyelets)...

P1010605.jpg

Step 2. Remove the three bolts out of the UtliTrac rail (ignore the Simo sand - I am STILL trying to get rid of it but it keeps appearing!!)

P1010606.jpg

Step 4. Fit the eyebolts into the rail with the rail 'sandwiched' between the flat washers.

P1010607.jpg

P1010608.jpg

Step 5. Don't forget to put the three UtliTrac bolts back in (No pics needed for that task)

Step 6. Secure the fridge with some straps.

P1010609.jpg

P1010610.jpg

Done! Total installation time is under 15 mins.

Gus

Last edited:
Cheers for the pics Gus. I might go one step further and make a block that slides into the channel (mild steel will do, and only has to be long enough to prevent twisting) and mig the bolt through that, so I can move the eyelets around as needed and won't need to remove the track to fit them.

Cheers for the pics Gus. I might go one step further and make a block that slides into the channel (mild steel will do, and only has to be long enough to prevent twisting) and mig the bolt through that, so I can move the eyelets around as needed and won't need to remove the track to fit them.

Good idea. My 80L fits perfectly against the battery box / wheel arch and tail gate so for me a block would simply quicken the process of installing the fridge as I am unable to move it.

Tony, try an electrical wholesaler & ask to look at some "Unistrut" nuts.
They are amost identical to the rail nuts we have on the D40 with 2 rounded edges & spring attached.
Cheers,
Phil

Thanks for that Phil, I'll do that first chance I get.

Not that I mind welding of course, but if I can get 'em already made without having to sell a kidney or a lung I'll do it!

The D40 ST doesn't come with the rails on the bottom of the tray ... are these standard in the ST-X ?

Back