engine oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nissan say that the recommended oil is 5W30 and I don't think that's available in a mineral - it's fully synthetic (as far as I am aware, anyway).

Where do they recommend it? In their own service manual. If they want to argue, get 'em to look up their own book.

Tony,

Unfortunately that tact will not always work, as you will most likely be referred to the front of the Owners Manual, in the case of a 2010 D22, Where Nissan State:

"NISSAN reserves the right to change specifications without notice and without obligation"

There is always a disclaimer!!

Regards

Greg

I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on what oil to use after you've replaced the DPF with a dump pipe.

Pedro, when you have a DPF you need to use a JASO-FD (ultra low ash formula) oil. Without the DPF you could use almost any oil that is suited to small diesels with turbochargers.

The DPF is also the CAT. Once you remove it, there is NO restriction in the exhaust.

I am a mechanic and service quite a few navaras, I always use penrite hprd5 low ash diesel oil. it's a bit expensive but so is a new engine, I personally use k&n oil filters with an anti drain back valve that actually works unlike the factory shit, the only othe filters I recommend are Nippon max as they too have a tuv rating which the factory filters fail to meet.

I'm not going to debate one oil against another people can choose what they want but if one is to go exactly by the book the Penrite oil by their own admission (unless they have changed it in the last 4 months) does not meet Nissan's specified standard. It's close and it may well be just as good and never cause any problems but it's not an exact match.

So how do you work that one out? Penrite meet the standards set out in my handbook; ie ACEA B3?? And this is the only spec Nissan have ever spoken to me about and is the spec stamped on their own genuine oil too

I worked out by reading the specs on the bottle and reading the specs in the book, like I said they are close but not exact, how close is up for others to decide,

The spec that says I don't remember every little thing I read whilst standing in a store looking for oil 4 months ago but remember enough to know that not every letter and number written in the 09 owners manual is replicated on the bottle of the only oil Penrite claimed was good for Nissan DPF fitted engines.

Not a d40 driver but castrol have just released a 5w-40 fully syn oil which is dpf safe. I will start using it when I've run out of my nulon oils.

Rusty

I use Shell Helix Ultra fully synthetic and so do the 2 x Nissan dealers who I've used to service my car. These days I supply the oil as I am lucky enough to get it at a special rate through a family connection.

Last edited:
Now if only my local shops would stock something other than Penrite and Nulon DPF oil, not that I'm worried using Nulon but some competition would be good.

Latest posts

Back