engine oils

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddy

Reaction score
G'day all, I have a Navara D22 /STR CR 2.5 Turbo Diesel and wondering what engine oil I should run in it.I am planning to change it every 5000ks.Would appreciate your thoughts.THANKS

My service people use Castrol Maagnatech Pro 5w-30. However if you do a search on this forum it has been done numerous times.

D22 Engine Oils

Guys,

I searched the D22 engine forum and this was the only thread that related to oils that I could find.

Firstly lets clear up which engine Im talking about. Its the cute little YD25 twin cam CR oiler that sits in my D22.

Now without boring u silly I'll point out that at 60000k Nissan did a warranty job for me and replaced the entire camshaft drive train. At 65,000 i did an oil change and almost straight away i could hear an odd ticking sound in the cam chain area of the front of the block. This noise was present prior to the Cam Chain rebuild but was much worse.

The oil i used for the change was a Penrite 15W-50 and the Nissan Spec Oil is a 20w-40 for the temperature range in my part of the country (Dry Tropics).

I had a bit of a gut feel about the noise as Ive been studying the engine rebuild manual and realised that the camchain tensioner is hydraulically operated off a dedicated gallery from the oil pump AND the noise sounded like the tensioner IMHO.

After having done about 100k on the new sump full of oil i rang the dealer and asked what sae rated oil they used when servicing the engine. "Valvoline 20w-40 was the reply. So i bit the bullet n went n brought a 10 liter container of good ol Castrol 15w-40 Magnatec n guess what? No nasty rattly noise or ticking sound at idle. Quiet as a mouse :)

So the moral of the story is "oils aint oils Sol"

Back