engine problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had the gf drive my navara home last week while I spent the night in hospital,so I don't know what happened to it but when I got home,after a couple of days getting over some pain from my opp I started it up and heard this clunking noise...
after checking it out we found that the main air hose from the air box to the turbo had a massive split in it...so I had that replaced today,started the car and now it has a thumping noise coming thru the exhaust....I used to have a smooth turbo whistling noise before but now it sounds like one of the cylinders/injectors is misfiring....
one workshop I went to the guy reckons it could be electrical,or a turbo problem,another guy reckons it jumped a couple of teeth on the timing chain( I reckon hes a tosser}..but its a mystery to me...

has anyone had a similar thing happen,if so, what was the problem?

I got the car booked in with Berwick Nissan tomorrow,so I will find out soon enough what the problem is...

interested to know if this is something common with the narvys..
cheers
joe

had a call from Nissan,and they narrowed it down to
1/ a head gasket
2/ a cracked head
3/ a dropped piston
don't know why it would do any of those as it ran like a charm,never got hot or played up and suddenly this..
they will call again with more updates later...
looks like an expensive fix,,,,,f...k

I have no knowledge here mate but those three options are all pricey. It sucks when you dont have a trustworthy mechanic you can use in a situation like this to make sure the dealer isn't just trying to make money out of you.

First thing I'd do is check your turbocharger out. There's possibly something caught in the intake, and/or the bearings might have let go (does your GF know to let the car idle for a bit after giving it a good run?).

Wiggle the shaft, it shouldn't wiggle. Rotate it, it should be smooth and not gritty at all. It should spin without too much coersion but it should slow fairly quickly (when it's cold, the oil is thick and really does dampen the movement).

well it turns out the temp gauge was showing NORMAL but it was running on the hot side...not over heating but hottish and it stuffed 2 cylinders....it needed a new engine and then they reckon the turbo was iffy...they wanted $2g for a Nissan one but I got a custom one for $1200 that can run on 25lb boost....
all up it cost over $10g because of a F-----g crap temp gauge..

well it turns out the temp gauge was showing NORMAL but it was running on the hot side...not over heating but hottish and it stuffed 2 cylinders....it needed a new engine and then they reckon the turbo was iffy...they wanted $2g for a Nissan one but I got a custom one for $1200 that can run on 25lb boost.... all up it cost over $10g because of a F-----g crap temp gauge..

What an absolute bugger!
I feel for you man,I guess sometimes reading your gauges does not pay(well in your case anyway)

Hope you get the NAV up and going soon.
$$$$$$$ bummer.

Never trust the factory temp gauge. Sorry you had all the dramas mate. Hope u get a million miles out of your new donk.

The factory temp gauge on both the D22 and D40 are crap. The needle on mine stays at exactly the same place between 83 and 105 deg so i recon its for looks only. I use the torque app which works a charm. Plus you can monitor many things in real time and set out of limit alarms which is potentially and engine saver.

The factory temp gauge on both the D22 and D40 are crap. The needle on mine stays at exactly the same place between 83 and 105 deg so i recon its for looks only.....
a lot of manufactures have that. certainly with toyotas they boil over before the gauge reads hot.
i think the reason its done is to stop customers freaking out when the temp needle moves up (normal temp range) and customer services gets 1000's of calls about so called overheating.
hence why we call them idiot gauges.

oh well at least with the new turbo which can run at 25lb boost I will take it to the turbo guy to set it at 15 lb constant boost..
he reckons it will cost only about $150 to set it up and then he dyno tunes it....
it will be interesting to see the HP figures with the new set up..

Back