Engine RPM

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappy

Reaction score
Hi all, I joined the forum last year but I've been a bit slack.

I have a D22 that I use primarily for towing our 2500 Kg caravan. Is it better to tow in 5th gear or in 4th? I tow normally at 90 Km/h. When in 4th the engine rpm is at about 3050-3100rpm. Is this ok, especially when towing for long distances (several hours at that speed)?

Thanks,
Jeff

There are a couple of threads relating to this issue, Towing heavy loads what gear? is a more recent one, Towing in over drive or not? covers towing with the auto D40 (still relevant, it's a tall gear).

As I've said in several of those threads, it's no problem. You'll know when you're straining the engine, simply don't. If the diesel is happy at 90km/h (which should be about 1900rpm) then there's no reason why you couldn't do that all day.

We towed - in overdrive - through the centre of Australia this Christmas. 1.8T behind, 43C heat and it had no problems until we did some slow steep climbs in the hills of Victoria on our way back which raised the engine temperature a little higher than I'd liked.

But several hours at those speeds - no worries at all.

Hi Tony, thanks for your reply, My Navara is the D22 and when towing in 4th at 90Km/h the rpm is 3050-3100RPM. This is the rpm I was questioning if it would be ok for several hours.

What I want to know is if other D22 owners report the same RPM at the same speed in 4th.

Because I purchased the Navara 2nd hand I'm wondering if the previous owner has played with the diff ratio (if that's possible)?

Thanks,

Jeff

5th would be ok on flat or very slight hills, but i'd drop back to 4th for anything more than that. remember, 5th is an overdrive, it's not designed to have a lot of load put through it. navara boxes seem to be ok, some of the patrol boxes drop 5th gear without even towing if they are loaded up too much...

i'd say those revs sound about right. ours is a 2.5 d22, but it is doing almost 3000rpm doing 100k's in 5th...

Hey chappy,4th gear in mine is about the same,sitting on about 90-95km 3000-3250rpm.I like 4th,get up and go no worries,and all day long aswell,in 5th egt's are a lot higher,there is no hurry when travelling and towing.Travelling is part of the holiday.

Latest posts

Back