Engine shutdown delay

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puma

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to diesels. My 2005 D22 dx has a bit of a delay when I run it off.

Example I turn the ignition off wait a sec then the engine shuts down. Is this normal?

I'm curious because none of my mates do this. However their cars are all 2011 plus.

Is it only like 1 or 2 seconds or is it longer? If it is like 15 seconds or longer I would say it has a turbo timer fitted, if its less than that there may be something wrong.

pretty sure when you turn the ignition off it takes maybe a second for the engine to shut off, i think its just a diesel thing

Yeah there is no turbo timer fitted. It's only like a second of two.

I was under the impression that it was a diesel thing. It seems like the glow plugs are slow to react of something so it keeps running for a few seconds that's all.

I don't know anyone else with this year model to compare.

glow plugs only operate when car is cold
when you switch ign off it stops fuel delivery
try running some injector cleaner ?

Yeah if it is any more than a second, you may have a little leak in the injector, try what sparra said and run some good injector cleaner through it and see if that makes any difference.

How is your oil level? Does it increase? This can become a serious problem if there is a diesel leak into the cylinder. If it gets worse, you can get to a stage where the engine takes off by itself. potentially doing damage.
The only way to stop it then is choke the airsupply at the snorkel or intake.

fuel will shut off instantly. however the shutdown butterfly closes and the engine will free wheel for a sec. however if its a few seconds and in particular its rough, then it may be running on engine oil.

Well I have almost run through a tank of injector cleaner and it hasn't done much difference.

I don't know if I am looking into it too far so I took a clip of the car shutting down it isn't that long but it's longer than what I am use to having only ever owned petrol cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHfHQ5xr8U8

Last edited:
Hmmm what cleaner did you use? I've been using fuel doctor and it really cleans the crap out if used to the directions. Its certainly got a delay on it. May I faulty wire not sending the signal quick enough? I am unsure of this, but I do know my brothers zd30 patrol does the same thing. Maybe try a ecu reset?

Rusty

shut down

Right O young fella,

Here is my 10 cents worth! Firstly, yes, i watched ur video and i think its taking a smidgin too long to shut down.

Now, with a petrol engine, when you turn off the ignition it turns off the power to the ignition thereby cutting off the spark that ingnites the fuel. No spark, no go.

However, a diesel is a compressed gas ignition engine. That is to say that its the compression of the air fuel mixture that creates ignition. When you switch off the ignition the fuel cut off solenoid deprives the injectors of fuel and the engine stops.

Is it using oil? How many k are on the clok?

If this is not happening then this is my GUESSED diagnosis

1. The fuel cut off solenoid is not shutting off the fuel due to it being damaged with grit/crap or not functioning properly

• The engine is getting "fuel" somewhere else. If you have any damaged seals anywhere that are allowing the lubrication oil into the combustion chamber/induction tract the rhe engine will continue to "run" until the supply is exhausted.

Have a think about it and get back to me.

Cheers A

It's your shut down valve ( part of throttle body assy) - only question is why? Mine were that rough a while ago, but I had a leak in the egr valve that meant the butterfly in the shut down weren't working. Maybe tweake can better explain or provide some clues.

Hmmm what cleaner did you use? I've been using fuel doctor and it really cleans the crap out if used to the directions. Its certainly got a delay on it. May I faulty wire not sending the signal quick enough? I am unsure of this, but I do know my brothers zd30 patrol does the same thing. Maybe try a ecu reset?

Rusty

Just a nulon thing I got from autopro. Ok ill look into the reset

Right O young fella,

Here is my 10 cents worth! Firstly, yes, i watched ur video and i think its taking a smidgin too long to shut down.

Now, with a petrol engine, when you turn off the ignition it turns off the power to the ignition thereby cutting off the spark that ingnites the fuel. No spark, no go.

However, a diesel is a compressed gas ignition engine. That is to say that its the compression of the air fuel mixture that creates ignition. When you switch off the ignition the fuel cut off solenoid deprives the injectors of fuel and the engine stops.

Is it using oil? How many k are on the clok?

If this is not happening then this is my GUESSED diagnosis

1. The fuel cut off solenoid is not shutting off the fuel due to it being damaged with grit/crap or not functioning properly

• The engine is getting "fuel" somewhere else. If you have any damaged seals anywhere that are allowing the lubrication oil into the combustion chamber/induction tract the rhe engine will continue to "run" until the supply is exhausted.

Have a think about it and get back to me.

Cheers A

No it doesn't appear to be using oil I changed it about 1200km ago and it's still the same. The car currently has 189000 on the clock.

So I don't know about any of that stuff I might just take it to a mechanic.

It's your shut down valve ( part of throttle body assy) - only question is why? Mine were that rough a while ago, but I had a leak in the egr valve that meant the butterfly in the shut down weren't working. Maybe tweake can better explain or provide some clues.

Ok sounds alright so how would one go about fixing that does it just need a clean.

I use to own a wrx and when servicing it I used a product called upper engine cleaner. It was like a foam that you would squirt into the head and it would clean all the carbon out of the top end.

Would something like this help?

My engine used to shut down that rough. It was the air line on the shut off valve had slipped off somehow. Popped it back on and it was all good.

Mate, not sure what you are looking for. As i said above its either running on on engine oil from a rooted seal (turbo) or the fuel cut off solenoid is faulty.

I'd be going off to find the solenoid and pull it out for a look, failing that as I said above whats your oil consumption like??? If its using oil then possible thats where its going.

i wouldn't touch the "fuel cut off solenoid". thats because the ZD30 doesn't have one like the old style pumps. it has a solenoid which fires the injection pulse, start playing with that and you could be looking at a new injection pump $$$$$$.
if normal driving is ok then its highly unlikely the solenoid is the problem.

hey buddy.

Mine does the same, I've got an 05 STR D22 and has that exact shutdown delay.
My mates 97 hilux does it too, its just a diesel thing i reckon.

Dude, I watched your video

Just check the vacuum line to your shutoff butterfly, make sure thats all in order, get someone to turn it off while you watch the vacuum actuator actually move the butterfly at shutoff.. If thats fine, its completely normal, thats nothing to worry about. Mine is about the same. It's a diesel thing.

Latest posts

Back