Engine surge

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big J

Reaction score
Hey guys my 05 Nissan navara d22 3L has developed a really bad surge it's that bad it spilt half my coffee all over my lap I have replaced my fuel filters and blew the fuel lines backward my mechanic has quated $5000 for the injectors to be checked btw the motor has done 300,000 so is it worth to check the injectors or just get a second hand motor please help me out guys cheers

allot of 3lt d22's have that problem almost always its the heat switch which is connected to a neutral switch on the gearbox, disconnect it at the gear box and away you go problem fixed. I had it happen to my old d22 and i just unplugged it and left it that way, i never had the problem again and didn't miss the heat switch one bit.

If you do a search you will find a heap of other people who have had this problem. you will probably even find how to locate the switch at the gearbox.

here is a link to an old thread about this problem http://www.navara.asia/d22-engine/782-2004-d22-surging-2nd-3rd-gear.html
and another http://www.navara.asia/d22-engine/10006-d22-surging-problem.html
One more on how to find the neutral switch http://www.navara.asia/d22-engine/7407-engine-studders-under-load.html

As i said before if you have any probs do a search for d22 neutral switch there are pages of info.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Thanks nathand22 but what does this heat switch do and what does it look like sorry for all these silly questions but I don't want to destroy my ute by disconnecting some thing I shouldn't cheers

$5K for checking injectors is a rip off. You can replace them for about $2K, even less if you DIY. Are you sure your mech wasn't talking about the injector pump (even then $5k is excessive)?

Try the heat switch first. Then find a new mechanic!

That $5000 was to check the injectors and if there is anything wrong they will replace them

The heat switch, is just a high idle switch.

But it cuts out when you engage a gear (any gear). The neutral position switch is what signals it. I don't why it affects the power, I'm not that smart.

You're problem is what I had, though not as bad, by sounds of it.

You undo all the trim and bolts around the gear sticks, ( or get at it easy enough from underneath...)and you'll find 2 sensors on the right side of the gerbox, one with a black cover boot, and the blue one, which is the NPS. Just disconnect the plug, and take it for a quick spin, you'll know straight away....

If so, order a replacement from Nissan.

Cheers,

Pat

Thanks pat I'll try that and I am hoping it works cheers Jeremy

I was told by a diesel mechanic to just disconnect it and leave it disconnected which i did and never had any issues in over 150,000km after it was gone. So i wouldn't even bother buying a new one. I go down the snow allot in winter and never needed the heat switch once, But its up to you.

Thanks guys for your help I disconnected the plug and wow what a difference it makes it fixed the surge and she runs really good now thanks again cheers Jeremy

...and a whole bunch cheaper than you expected too! Glad to hear that the problem is fixed.

Excuse my ignorance. But what does it mean to "surge"?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Basically the best way i could describe it is, when you are accelerating the power is no longer consistent, and comes in waves or bursts. You have power then it dies away and comes back.

Dave said:
Like hitting the rev limiter in a petrol and the ECM shuts the injectors off.

Lol. I know that one. Did that in my turbo jap sss import all the time..

Oh that can't be good for the navs

N14 jap spec sss with the quad throttle body gtir 2L engine.
Used to get wheel spin at 100km/hr in 4th gear hitting max boost. Loved that toy

I always wanted a hardtop U12 Bluebird.

They have all been butchered now though.

Finding a un-modified one is near impossible.

Any pics of the GTIR.

Oh and a N15 Jap spec would be cool. SR16VE goodness.

They only went into the GT X-Trail's though.

I wish Nissan would just turbo the QR series engine.

Latest posts

Back