Engine surging

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merchant

Reaction score
Hi all, I know this is a very open question but I need some advice on why my D40 has started surging when i put the foot down. It feels as though the engine is starved for fuel. When i am coasting around town on the way to and from work the engine purrs like a kitten.

The car is overdue for a 80K service ($1000 thanks for coming) and has a Chip-It installed. The issue hasn't changed with tank refills.

I was going to get the car serviced at my local mechanics but am now considering sending it to the stealership to chuck it on the Consult machine.

Interested in anyones thoughts.

im no expert, but ive been reading forums alot.

something that came up allot with d40 owners and performance issues was something to do with the fual tank not releasing air correctly and creating vacuum and making it harder to get diesel to the engine

the way to test for this, is to remove your filler cap and drive around and see if the situation improves.

there is a filter/air release thing atached somewhere in line that ****s up, or something...idk do the easy test first.

otherwise could be a faulty sensor, possibly check your intake pipe for dirt and clean the AFM contacts with proper electrical contact cleaner, could be firty and getting a bad reading.

I'm wondering if the filter is blocked up too. Definitely give the fuel cap a loosening and try that. Is the Check Engine Light coming on? Again (just as in the previous post I just wrote) this one too could be the SCV.

Old thread but just in case you haven't got it sorted and for those that follow - your description of symptoms sound pretty close to those my truck suffered and replacing the SCV - suction control valve seems to have sorted it

The SCV - Suction Control Valve - is attached to the fuel pump. I think it costs somewhere around $400 (unless I'm confusing the price with the MAFS price) but I'd send a PM to Nizzbits and see what he can do it for. If your surging has stopped, the SCV is probably okay.

The SCV - Suction Control Valve - is attached to the fuel pump. I think it costs somewhere around $400 (unless I'm confusing the price with the MAFS price) but I'd send a PM to Nizzbits and see what he can do it for. If your surging has stopped, the SCV is probably okay.

Cheers Old Tony.

I'm assuming to replace then thing it means out comes the tank??

nah, the fuel pump is attached to the block and gets driven off the timing chain. i'm not sure how hard it is to change though..

As above - our petrol-powered cousins can survive with an electric pump that trickles the juice out in the direction of the engine, but our diesels need something substantially more powerful to provide the (up to) 30,000psi of pressure in the rail so it's driven by the engine.

Suction controle valve is an easy replace. 2 bolts and plug it in. its a little tight to access though need small hands. The pump is on the drivers side down the bottom near the front and the valve is a dimond type of shape on the pump.bolt top and bottom with the plug on the middle. btw there on ebay for around $140....

Latest posts

Back