Exhaust ping

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06nav

Reaction score
How are people in cruisers, bt-50, ranger, hilux getting a pinging type sound from there exhaust when coming off the accelerator? Sorry I don't exactly know how to explain the sound!

Increase air intake (Clear lines via snorkle) increase in air out take (bigger exhaust) and frankly a bigger engine. i`m pretty sure that D22 cant actually make the noise your talking about well not the 2.5`s.

I have seen a d40 around here that did it when he pulled along side of me. Its a yd2.5 and obviously had a lot of work done to it...

Increase air intake (Clear lines via snorkle) increase in air out take (bigger exhaust) and frankly a bigger engine. i`m pretty sure that D22 cant actually make the noise your talking about well not the 2.5`s.

Yeah I have seen a d40 and 3.0lt hilux Aswell. Curious as to how they are doing it haha. I will find out one day!

My last car, 2006 hilux D4D would do that noise when coming off the throttle. Only did it after I installed an exhaust. I think it may have something to do with the variable vain turbos?? The higher the boost when backing off the louder the DOOOoooooo. Have seen a 2013 Nav 2.5 do a similar noise also as well as a LC76 V8 diesel. All have aftermarket exhausts and pretty sure variable vain turbos.

A BOV will give a quick release of compressed air from the turbo to inlet air track, some have trumpets so they make a short whistle, or squeaking noise.

if you look-up BOV noises on youtube you will get a heap of different noises. as there are heaps of manufactures with different designs the noises are different.

If your car has an aftermarket air filter, and work done to the intake. ie a solid intake pipe or larger intake pipe (does also help to do your exhaust to) you will hear the turbo flutter. Turbo flutter occurs when you back of, the air in your intake pipe goes from being sucked into the turbo, to being rejected and cut up by the turbo intake. this bounced the air around the intake pipe and usually sounds like a cho-cho-cho noises. cars with snorkels etc get this for longer as the noise has allot more piping to travel along.
it also help to have a larger engine...larger engine more air it need's, so the more air traveling int he system to be thrown back when the throttle is let off.

Look-up Turbo flutter on youtube and you will get a fairly good idea about what the noise sounds like.

Def not a BOV noise and is not an induction noise. Noise comes straight out the exhaust!!

find a utube clip that has the sound in it.

i'm guessing the sound is from the variable turbo. some can sound a bit weird due to the vanes changing.

Chat to nathand22 he had that sound from his D40 before it was totalled, i just cant remeber what he said it was other then the exhaust.

My 2013 ST makes that noise in spades and all I did was remove the rear muffler with an elimination pipe as I believe that is where most of the restriction is on the stock exhaust.

In underground carparks it is really loud, the missus hates it, I love it.

This is obviously no navara, but it is the sound I am curious http://youtu.be/LGA8cTO-WyE
thats basically minor compressor surge.
go off throttle which drops the amount of exhaust gas, so the turbo has no drive on it which allows boost to go back through the compressor slowing it down.
what you hear in the exhaust is the turbo rapidly slowing, which makes the turbine produce the sound.
if you took the intake pipes off you would hear the compressor side noise as well.

its not actually a good thing, especially in bad cases as it damages the turbo. thats why they make BOV to help prevent it from happening.

variable turbo can make it sound a bit different due to the vanes closing. i think the "ping" is the above noise but just shorter and higher pitched due to the variable turbo (because turbo is kept spinning faster). theres a few patrol zd30 vids that have it. the non-variable patrols its lower pitch and longer sounding.

Last edited:
thats basically minor compressor surge.
go off throttle which drops the amount of exhaust gas, so the turbo has no drive on it which allows boost to go back through the compressor slowing it down.
what you hear in the exhaust is the turbo rapidly slowing, which makes the turbine produce the sound.
if you took the intake pipes off you would hear the compressor side noise as well.

its not actually a good thing, especially in bad cases as it damages the turbo. thats why they make BOV to help prevent it from happening.

variable turbo can make it sound a bit different due to the vanes closing. i think the "ping" is the above noise but just shorter and higher pitched due to the variable turbo (because turbo is kept spinning faster). theres a few patrol zd30 vids that have it. the non-variable patrols its lower pitch and longer sounding.

Thanks tweake I won't be going trying to do that then haha

Latest posts

Back