Few YD25 issues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyNav09

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals

Have a yd25 d22 2009 model with 85000kms and am having some problems diagnosing ongoing issues.

1. Cold start i get a really bad rattle and its in time with rotations/timing and gets louder when you rev but dissappears when warmed. Timing chain or injectors? Someone mentioned a bearing somewhere that is to small or belts need changing/tightening?

2. Car is loud all the time. Yes i know its a diesel but it just sees overly loud compared to ither navaras i have been around. maybe injectors?

3. I have a series of annoyin vibrating rattles from the front left. I think this is the beau exhaust system running across the gearbox cross member. Any other ideas?

Has anyone changed there injectora and had better results in fuel economy or quieter running. I have been hanging out for BDG to realease there blueprint injectors for the yd25.

Rusty

Hey guys/gals

Have a yd25 d22 2009 model with 85000kms and am having some problems diagnosing ongoing issues.

1. Cold start i get a really bad rattle and its in time with rotations/timing and gets louder when you rev but dissappears when warmed. Timing chain or injectors? Someone mentioned a bearing somewhere that is to small or belts need changing/tightening?

2. Car is loud all the time. Yes i know its a diesel but it just sees overly loud compared to ither navaras i have been around. maybe injectors?

3. I have a series of annoyin vibrating rattles from the front left. I think this is the beau exhaust system running across the gearbox cross member. Any other ideas?

Has anyone changed there injectora and had better results in fuel economy or quieter running. I have been hanging out for BDG to realease there blueprint injectors for the yd25.

Rusty

May be worth pulling the timing cover off mate, i know its a bit harder in the D22 but it could save you a bit of coin if it is in need of changing.

I thought Bailey's were already doing the yd25 injectors?
im sure i saw them asking for more old ones around 8months ago, they were even offering cash for any old ones.

Nathan. Any ideas on how to remove it without taking the fan off etc? I looked into baileys but they are only doing hilux or prado blue prints and selling genuine denso injectors for yd25. I have emailed them and just waiting for a reply.

Mate i havent actually had a good look at the d22 with that job in mind, i have just talked to a couple of guys that have done it and remember them saying that there is a few more things in the way. Having said that i dont think you will be able to get to it with out pulling the fan and rad out.

Baileys must of run out of rebuilt injectors, because they had them on their price list all be it slightly higher then the Hilux and playdo versions.
will be keen to here what they say to your email.

I think they do have yd25 d40 injectors but dont specify d22 injectors. Think ill leave the timing chain to the mechanic and sus out th double row chain soon.

Rusty

yeah i was just on their web site and saw that is the case, i would of thought that YD25 injectors for one can be done why not for the other version? and are they not the same injector?? obviously not.......

Maybe you could have a listen with a stethoscope for the time being?

Hi Rusty. The upper cover is pretty easy to remove but won't show the lower chain and by the time you go to all the trouble to remove the lower cover you may as well just fit a double row kit. Before doing any of that tho. I have suggested in other treads to check you fan belts first. Just start it up and wet you belts with the hose at idle and see if the noise appears. If you get the noise when wet then replace the belts and check the pulleys. The only other way the check the lower chain and sprockets would be with a micro camera that mechanics use. I know once I fitted the YD25 double row kit to mine it was like a brand new car. Very quiet. I would be surprised if it was your injectors as you have always used injector cleaner and you run good filtration.

Cheers

Ill be watching this Rusty, i have the same issue in the same model but an 08. i noticed a small changed when i changed my oil over to better stuff, but its still noticable, i have a full set of belts at home and have been meaning to put them in for quite awhile as i heard the same thing as you reguarding the belts. just too busy, too lazy and limited room.
I`d be happy to make the chain conversion if i could be positive that it would solve the issue, i would do it myself witha little advice, i have 163,000k`s and its still going strong so its possible thats what ever it is, is quite normal and not damaging, in saying that i dont know much on the Nav`s history prior to the 150,000k mark.

For those interested in doing double row timing chain upgrade with german made Iwis chain is $1600 for parts then another $2200 fitting as ita 2days labour to do the fitting. Yes its pricey but a new engine is more expensive. Ill most likely being buying parts and getting my mechanic to fit or a mate mechanic to fit.

Rusty

2 days Faaaaaark
I have heard its difficult and the front diff has to come out to make it easier
my mechanic mate sais we (2) can do it in 1 day with beer time after
I estimated $2300 all up with using yd25.com parts and $800 labour

does anyone know what year they changed the dia of the vac pump shaft from 8mm to 12mm ??

Last edited:
yeah sounds like a long time but i guess it depends on how much other work the mechanic has on as well. i would think if you had a little experience and sometips from others who have done it plus the right tools you could do it yourself in one day.
i`m sure a mechanic, if not busy could do it in the same time.

Sparra i am glad someone said find another quote. Soon aftr getting off the phone to yd25 i rang a mate who isa mechanic and has his own workshop lcoally. With me still providing parts and my mate providing all fluods and labour he quoted me $1150 through his business or he is yet to give me a weekend cash price :). Rang my mechanic and still waiting for his quote. So far my mate can do it in 1day and my mechanic would be 1day aswell.

Got some awesome news for us d22 ownwrs from BDG. They will be releasing there blueprint injectors on thursday. Wooohooooooo i told him to jump on this site as lots of people would like his product.

Rusty

Hey Rusty have you got an actual diagnosis on what is wrong?the way you have looked after it you would be unlucky for anything major to happen a mate i saw on the weekend has almost 200k on his o8 and it's as quiet as a mouse.

John, i have not had a proper diagnosis i am still working iut exactly what it is but will be getting my mechanic tp do a proper diagnosis. I am just getting prices and info so i know what i am up for if its not pretty.

Mine is quite loud and its driving me nuts.ni remwmber it quiet when i purchased it

I would be checking belts first. I have had a YD25 kit put in mine by Paul himself and it took him one and a half days on he knows exactly what he is doing. Rusty my chain and sprockets had hardly any wear but the chain was starting to stretch which what made the engine sound a bit noisier. Definitely changing the chain and sprockets made it quieter, but the start up rattle you get was still there after the chain was done. It was only that I was changing my coolant and I wet the belts while I was refilling the radiator that I got that noise to happen. Changed the belts and I haven't heard it since. The chain is worth getting done for sure, if it stretches to much it will jam on the tensioner guides and snap. Paul from YD25 is based in QLD. Have you asked him if he can fit it. I have the new kit in mine and the quality is second to none with the German chains and billet sprockets.

Cheers

I would be checking belts first. I have had a YD25 kit put in mine by Paul himself and it took him one and a half days on he knows exactly what he is doing. Rusty my chain and sprockets had hardly any wear but the chain was starting to stretch which what made the engine sound a bit noisier. Definitely changing the chain and sprockets made it quieter, but the start up rattle you get was still there after the chain was done. It was only that I was changing my coolant and I wet the belts while I was refilling the radiator that I got that noise to happen. Changed the belts and I haven't heard it since. The chain is worth getting done for sure, if it stretches to much it will jam on the tensioner guides and snap. Paul from YD25 is based in QLD. Have you asked him if he can fit it. I have the new kit in mine and the quality is second to none with the German chains and billet sprockets.

Cheers

Yeh mate spoke to paul about supply and fit and it was pretty pricey. Ill change all my belts first i think. Will ring nissan tomoz for prices.

Rusty

Just don't want you to go to all the expense and trouble only to start it up and the noise was still there. I spent three grand to get mine done, supply and fit. Only to think it was all fixed until a week later when I heard the rattle I was getting when I was changing the coolant. But like I said the chain played a big part in the overall smoothness and sound of the engine. It is like a brand new engine now. And I know it is going to last a long time. Get him to throw in one of his EGR jet tube delete plates. They make a massive difference to turbo response and block the whole EGR system off. He does a full EGR delete kit but I wanted mine to look original so I only fitted the plate.

Just don't want you to go to all the expense and trouble only to start it up and the noise was still there. I spent three grand to get mine done, supply and fit. Only to think it was all fixed until a week later when I heard the rattle I was getting when I was changing the coolant. But like I said the chain played a big part in the overall smoothness and sound of the engine. It is like a brand new engine now. And I know it is going to last a long time. Get him to throw in one of his EGR jet tube delete plates. They make a massive difference to turbo response and block the whole EGR system off. He does a full EGR delete kit but I wanted mine to look original so I only fitted the plate.

Thanks mate.

Back