Filled whole diesel tank with PETROL!! on new years day!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roman

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I feel like screaming right now. I have just filled up at the servo with 66litres of petrol into my my D22 2.5l diesel 2010 model's near empty fuel tank. Luckily i have not tried to start the car or turned on the ignition.

Can someone please tell me what the procedure is to drain the fuel tank.

Will it be ok to just drain the tank, or will some petrol have seeped into the pipes up towards the engine.

Please help ASAP, as I really want to get this sorted as you can imagine.

Detailed description of how to remove fuel form tank would be good - is there a drain plug as I cant seem to see one?

Is removal of the tank a must?

Cheers :suicide2:

Happy New Year by the way!

I was just on my way out for a run up the mount Tambourine tracks.... Arrgghhhh!!!!

Happy New Year to you too although I bet it doesn't feel like it.

Have you downloaded the manual? the one that's here might not be for the 2010 model but surely the changes aren't that great and you can get ideas on how to remove the tank or even drain it.

Happy New Year to you too although I bet it doesn't feel like it.

Have you downloaded the manual? the one that's here might not be for the 2010 model but surely the changes aren't that great and you can get ideas on how to remove the tank or even drain it.

thanks Krafty... Nah mate I haven't downloaded the manual - didn't know about it - where can I get it from? cheers mate,

Roman

Lucky you didn't start it. I would siphon out the tank for starters, then drop it out for a proper clean/flush with diesel. It shouldn't be a difficult job, just a PITA.

Hope the rest of your year is better.

i have herd of people put a litre of petrol in with diesel. what i would do i just siphon the petrol out as best as you can then fill with diesel, if you realy wanted to fill with diesel then siphon it out again

It shouldn't be too bad, we had one of the 2009 D4-D hiaces at work get filled up with petrol and driven for about 15km before it started to play up. The guy pulled over straight away and we had a mobile mechanic come out. He just drained the tank & changed the fuel filters. Hard to tell whether any damage was done internally but the vehicle hasn't had any issues since and runs just as it did before.

I wouldn't be too worried about it especially if you didn't start it. $100 worth of fuel down the drain though....

thanks for your advice everyone - sounds like i should be ok - just trying to find how to siphon the petrol out. the filler pipe has god something in there to stop fuel being siphoned / filter out crap in dirty fuel, so the only way I can see without dropping the tank, is to some how undo the filler pipe where it connects onto the tank, and put a hose pipe in to siphon from there.. Am i on the right track... Thanks guys.... i'm such a dickhead....

Urrggh. Should be alright as long as you can drain the fuel as you said.

Whereabouts are you Roman?. I haven't been up the Mount Tambourine tracks before, in fact I didn't even know any were there!.

Don't worry about the oversight with the fuel, 2 weeks ago I pulled in to the Caltex and went to inflate my work cars tyres, went inside and asked the bloke could I have the gauge for the air hose. Of course it was one of the new digital automatic cut out type ones wasn't it that didn't need the old gauge. DOH.!

Last edited:
see if you can get an electric fuel pump and pump it put.You should be able to disconnect your fuel line from under neath the car and let it drain out.If you havn't started it it won't be a problem as petrol in a diesel will normally blow the head off the engine.This will be the easiest way to do it without pulling your tank out.

Is there not a drain plug on the tank? I am positive that when the mechanic drained the fuek out of our Hiace there was a drain plug of some sort.... Obviously it's a different vehicle, but maybe???

i'm already laughing. i stink of petrol, and and covered in mozzie bites, but the nav is fine and running sweet. drained, flushed and filled up with fresh diesel. just ran 100km down the highway with no troubles. thanks for your advice all.... happy new year!

there was no drain plug on my 04 model. not sure how the best way to drain all of it without draining what you can via siphon hose then pull it out the tank and flush to get it all out.. those new common rail motors are very expensive to repair. good thing about all the aftermarket long range tanks is they all have drain plugs.

Having always driven petrol cars, I am always afraid of doing this! As a matter of interest where did you drain the fuel to? I can't imagine you can just let it go down the storm water? and I assume you did this at the servo?

Urrggh. Should be alright as long as you can drain the fuel as you said.

Whereabouts are you Roman?. I haven't been up the Mount Tambourine tracks before, in fact I didn't even know any were there!.

Don't worry about the oversight with the fuel, 2 weeks ago I pulled in to the Caltex and went to inflate my work cars tyres, went inside and asked the bloke could I have the gauge for the air hose. Of course it was one of the new digital automatic cut out type ones wasn't it that didn't need the old gauge. DOH.!

hi mate, the tracks are through the back of the new land subdivision development - a left turn after the winery on the road out to mt tambourine. you have to open a gate. I haven't done it yet but mates say its really good and seen pics looks fun...

Having always driven petrol cars, I am always afraid of doing this! As a matter of interest where did you drain the fuel to? I can't imagine you can just let it go down the storm water? and I assume you did this at the servo?

i got the RACQ to tow me to a mates house where i siphoned it into two bins and 3 buckets. still trying to figure out what to do with it. I think i will see if there is a disposal company that will pick it up....

No drain plug. I removed the filler shroud to access the pipe straight down into the tank. there was probably a few liters i couldnt get out so i put another fresh 20 liters of diesel in and siphoned that out too. so the remaining fuel i couldnt get out was about 3 liters of 1part petrol to 9 parts diesel. then filled another 20liter jerrys worth of fresh diesel, then drove straight to servo and filled all the way up.

Latest posts

Back