First time 4x4 owner

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dino126

Reaction score
Hi all I just bought myself a d22 1012 model it's my first ever 4x4. I'm keen to learn a lot about my car and just general 4x4 tips

Welcome to the forum, there is a wealth of knowledge on here! All the best and stay safe!

Welcome aboard!

The best way to learn to 4WD is to do a basic preparation of your car and then start small with someone that knows what they're doing. Do some different kinds of things and see what you like most.

Basic preparation:

* Some form of off-road tyre. I use BFG All-Terrains, good service life on the road (65,000km) and they do reasonably in the loose stuff. You might consider mud-terrain but be aware that they're noisier and have a shorter lifespan (faster wear, typically).

* Recovery points. I have a steel bullbar with winch up front = recovery point. I have a tow hitch + shackle block in the rear = recovery point. If you don't want either of those, get some properly-rated recovery hooks and mount them on BOTH chassis rails where and use an equalisation strap.

* Some basic recovery gear. The equalisation strap as mentioned. A winch extension, perhaps a snatch strap and a handful of 4.5T+ bow shackles - even if you don't have a winch - because using YOUR gear to recover YOUR vehicle is "the right thing".

* Tyre deflators and a really good compressor for sand work.

The above things will all be useful no matter which way you jump afterwards. You might like mud crawling = much larger tyres with aggressive treads and enough lift to keep the chassis high out of the muck. Water crossings = nicely sealed snorkel, wading bra to keep debris from hitting your radiator or pushing the radiator into the cooling fan. Rock climbing = AT tyres, big ground clearance, body lift (for departure angle improvement). For sand/beach work you want AT or HT tyres, wider tread, compressor on board, MaxTraxx strapped to the roof bars, maybe an alloy bar up front and a near-empty tub (lighter the better).

I'm sure some others will chip in with some tips for preparing for different terrains as well, but until you've had a gentle go at them all, you won't know which way you'll want to play. My own setup is more for towing, but we took her off-road a few times, did a few river crossings, water over the bonnet, climbed up and down some mountains and did it all on ATs. Our favourite is the outback.

Welcome to the forum and 4x4ing, I think Tony pretty much has you covered! Enjoy.

Wow thank you so much it is much appreciated for all those tips tony. It's a brand new car so I'm still alittle nervous about taking it bush but I guess that's why I bought the 4x4 in the first place. I have a bullbar on it with spot lights.I'm looking into a winch and a lift kit but probably won't be till the end of the year thanks again for the help

If you don't feel like breaking your car.. I always try and remember
"Drive as slow as possible, but as fast as necessary"

and never be in neutral! you'll be amazed what low 1st can do

If you don't feel like breaking your car.. I always try and remember
"Drive as slow as possible, but as fast as necessary"

and never be in neutral! you'll be amazed what low 1st can do

I agree, never do anything off road in neutral, 4 low 1st and reverse are slower than walking pace if need be.

Thanks everyone for your tips they are much appreciated. just one quick question how long should your snatch strap be

Thanks everyone for your tips they are much appreciated. just one quick question how long should your snatch strap be

How long is a piece of string?

I have a 6m snatch strap and find that in most recoveries it is long enough. however sometimes I have had to join my winch extension onto my snatch as there has been no safe place to recover from at the shorter distance. So in this instance i was 21m away from the vehicle I was recovering.

There is no right answer to this question . . . but mine is 6m. I also have an 8m one but rarely use it as the longer the strap the longer it takes to clean all the mud and sand from it.

Welcome dude. As LLadnar said. Once the mods start they don't stop. Cheers enjoy this great open land in your 22.

Latest posts

Back