Fitting a bigger turbo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equipt

Reaction score
I have a few questions about fitting a bigger turbo,
Any ideas as to what will fit on a ZD30 ?
How big can you go before needing to upgrade things like injectors and fuel pump?
I know an inter cooler would be a good idea but would it be essential ?
Would you need to fit a chip ?
Any idea at all as to how much a turbo would be? I know prices for a cooler and a chip but never looked into a bigger turbo before.
Would you consider a 2nd hand turbo ?

hey mate, i'm in the same boat, i've done every other bolt on engine mod out there for our utes, but interested in getting that little bit more out of it, i remember someone saying that a garret turbo from the rd28 powered patrol might be a straight fitup, can anyone else shed any light on this? tell you what, it would be awesome to have a zd30 powered d22 with the same sort of power as blue navara's! :rock:

with ZD30 "grenade" history i would not try to get it anywhere near bluenavaras power output.

what would be good to find out is what other compressor wheels/housing would fit the stock ZD30 turbo. typically the turbo's are undersized because of the egr, but with egr blocked off it could benefit a lot by a bigger compressor wheel.

OK, so if I can find 1 I could just fit a bigger compressor housing to my turbo.

Then back to my original post will I need things like a chip?

you don't need a chip as such. but if you can provide more/cooler air then you could easily add extra fuel to take advantage of it.

if you want to add a large amount of extra fuel then you certainly will need to change the turbo, add intercoolers etc.

Guys, I'm not that familiar with the ZD30, to be honest, but my mate tweak'e is. Most diesels benefit from 30-50% more airflow and some 20-25% more top end fueling roughly to keep things safe. The trick is to get such extra airflow with getting a lazy laggy turbo.

Tweak'e knows more about this than I do for the ZD, I'm sure. If you ask him nicely he might also tell you about a little methanol assisted oomph............

I just read in the 4WD Action mag about the 4.2L GU Patrol that is running diesel gas and a water/methanol injection system. I was under the assumption that you would cause all sorts of problems with having even a small amount of water mixed with diesel, but that is obviously not the case.
All I want is a bit more power as I am lacking a bit of get up and go so I was thinking if I fit a bigger turbo it may help over come the lack of power due to the 3" exhaust not offering much back pressure.

hi mate, if your after just a bit more power, just get a chip, by far the quickest, easiest and cheapest way of getting that bit extra, i myseld have added a 2 1/2 in turbo back exhaust, water to air intercooler and a chip, the thing that gave me the most bang for my buck was the chip, really wakes up the nav, exhaust seemed to do nothing and the intercooler well..... just cools things, wouldnt say it added much, if anything, was more of something to stop the turbo from costing me a motor..... was thinking water injection or gas next, but would prefer to get a slightly bigger, more flowy and better quality turbo then the pos hitashi......

Yeah I am thinking a chip may be the way to go next. I have a full 3" exhaust system and I have been told that 3" is a bit big for the size of the turbo that is on the ZD30

I just read in the 4WD Action mag about the 4.2L GU Patrol that is running diesel gas and a water/methanol injection system. I was under the assumption that you would cause all sorts of problems with having even a small amount of water mixed with diesel, but that is obviously not the case.
All I want is a bit more power as I am lacking a bit of get up and go so I was thinking if I fit a bigger turbo it may help over come the lack of power due to the 3" exhaust not offering much back pressure.

At full 38psi boost, I'm injecting 2000 cc/min of 80%water, 20% alcohol. Two whole liters per minute, no typo.

Don't confuse that with water/moisture in a high pressure fuel rail, that is very bad indeed.

I've had the 14 gph nozzle running on my ZD30 with a 50/50 water methanol mix but EGTs go thru the roof REAL quick.

Running straight water still gives it a nice kick.

Yeah I am thinking a chip may be the way to go next. I have a full 3" exhaust system and I have been told that 3" is a bit big for the size of the turbo that is on the ZD30

the exhaust is fine.

the problem with the zd30 is its very under fueled especially in the low rpm range. adding a chip should make a big difference.
however you need to make sure you do not add to much fuel. egt's get up there when on full noise even with stock fueling. intercooling would help with that.
modding/changing the turbo would make it more efficient especially if you drive at high speed/rpm.

the exhaust is fine.

the problem with the zd30 is its very under fueled especially in the low rpm range. adding a chip should make a big difference.
however you need to make sure you do not add to much fuel. egt's get up there when on full noise even with stock fueling. intercooling would help with that.
modding/changing the turbo would make it more efficient especially if you drive at high speed/rpm.

Cool, I think I will look at fitting a chip next.
The reason I say about the exhaust is because in a "comparison" with a mates D22 with stock exhaust mine is as slow as in the power department.

On a similiar topic. If you had the zd30 block ground out to increase the engine capacity, would you need to change the turbo or fuel supply, etc?

If you bore it out 20 thou you get a slight increase in swept volume which gives a slightly higher static compression ratio.

You wouldn't need to change anything else to compensate for this, but you could probably lower your boost level to keep overall compression the same.

Latest posts

Back