Fraser Island Trip turned Disaster

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k3vin

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Short version:
Finally got to Fraser Island, car died at Sandy Cape.

Long version:
Thought I'd post a little something about my recently trip, after months of planning, finally ready and prepped to go to Fraser Island after all the youtube and DVD g ups.

On the trip up (Western Sydney, 16hr drive), strangely I noticed my car temp go up quite high, then within a few seconds drop back down to normal. Figured maybe my themo was playing up so didn't think much of it.

After the first few days on the island, the problem never happened again. It was only near the end of the trip where I thought, I'm not gonna be here again anytime soon, have to hit Sandy Cape.

On the trip up thats where the problems started showing. On the way up to Sandy Cape, I pulled over approximately 10 times or so as the temperature went way to high. Waited for the temp to drop back to normal then keep pushing on. After a long day, I finally made it to Sandy cape.

Thought now would be a good time to flush to radiator and put fresh new coolant in. Spent the next day morning doing this, thinking all well and good, then started on the Journey back down. Got about 10mins down from Sandy Cape, temperature hit boiling point. Sat there for a good 5 minutes and the car was not cooling down. Figured the themo was the culprit so I turned off the car and a few hours later, finally got the themo out.

Put the car back together, and what do you know, it wouldn't start. Just kept cranking. On the phone back and forth with mechanic trying to figure out what it was, I finally gave up. Ended up googling (lucky I was in phone reception) and call various local mechanics.

One came up to check out the car for $75. I think one of the worse feelings I could have at the time .... after diagnosing the car, he's advised I have a cracked head gasket.... now what?

He was a nice enough fellow and towed me to Nagala rock, but was not able to get me over it. Ended up camping the night there. Next morning, got ahold of a tractor owner on the island. Top bloke, pulled me over Nagala rock with his tractor, then through Indian heads with his Landy. Cost me $400 for that part.

I finally had some luck as it was low tide, so a mate in his trust challenger ended up towing me 88km from Indian Heads right down to the Rainbow Beach barge.

After getting off the barge, started weighing up my options. Either to get the car back home or have someone local fix it. After dozens of calls, finally worked out it would be most cost effective to fix in Hervey Bay.

Had a towie called, another $450 to get to the mechanic in Hervey Bay.
Had a call from the mechanic this morning tell me he cannot get any compression from my car and the radiator is empty and looks to be pushed up.

After much discussion with the mechanic in Hervey Bay & my local mechanic here, the only options I've come up with are:

1. Pay the mechanic to rip the head off and see the extent of the dmg
2. Pay the mechanic to rip head off, if too badly damage, engine swap.
3. Engine swap without wasting the labour costs to pull the head off.
4. Get the car back to Sydney and do the above..

I've opted to go with Option 1 hoping for the best as it seems the engine was still cranking.. find out soon I guess if it was the right choice or not ...

Well, just on better note, Fraser Island was an awesome experience, I'd recommend it to all. However I would recommend to have at least 3 cars with you. In case a situation like mine occurs, you could have two cars towing you over the soft stuff!

Made a little collection of a few GoPro videos & pics if anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwyUiyQb8Gg

Last edited:
Gbt, not anymore .. :/
Old.Tony, chem weld, yeah I thought about that. But not sure how far it would get me and nothing like that I found on the island servos.

Last edited:
Hi 4 naving,

I had a 35L water drum with me so flushed with that, then had another car do a servo run to Orchid Beach to get me concentrate which I put in afterwards mixed with water.

Nathan knows of some stuff to put in the engine to seal cracked heads, with an event like this, I think I'm going to ask him what it is and buy myself some.

when you have no other choice

1; 2 eggs and a teaspoon of pepper
2; mix well
3;remove all coolant (if theres any left)
4;fill with water and then add egg mix, start car
5; leave radiator cap off

this is a short term fix to get you moving and car will need a good flush afterwoods, it does work, i have tried it, so have mythbusters

Last edited:
Ok. I only asked as the nav requires special coolant as the yd25 creates so much heat.
But I guess you need to do whatever you can when your remote.
That's a real bummer mate.
Looks like you still had a good trip.
Hope it all works out ok mate.....

Just thought I'd keep you guys updated. The mechanic ripped the head apart, rusted everywhere. Tried to go through warranty but got rejected to the some clause regarding gaskets.....

So ... options now is engine swap or rebuild..

I'd swap it out unless the mechanic is certain that's all that's wrong.
That's suck mate sorry to hear.

Just a final post, finally got me car back after 6-7 weeks?
Repair bill .... $13997 ..........

Alot more was damaged and required replacing then first initially thought..

what was the damage, and what caused it more importantly. is there anything we all should look out for. also, did you get your engine rebuilt?

Latest posts

Back