Friction Modifier

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Tourer

Reaction score
I was doing some inverstigation on FRICTION MODIFIER additive in the LSD. Anyone have any knowledge on it's benefits/drawbcks?

I know it assists the clutchpacks in operation, and stops the "chirping" in on road tight turning situations. But I wonder if running NO FM will it tighten the LSD right up? Assisting in off road situations? Then in saying that will it reduce the LSD's life span?

My LSD is OK, but if a wheel even looks like lifting it will spin like crazy. I've tried the old hand brake trick and that works pretty well, but still would likr it a bit tighter.

Anyone have any ideas??!!

Cheers :cheers!:

whats the old handbrake trick?

When one rear wheel is off the ground and spinning, apply more revs and slowly apply the handbrake. The handbrake will apply pressure to the spinning wheel and activate the LSD. Works best when completely stopped. Works similar to a computer controlled traction controler i guess?

How many K's has you diff got on it?

You could try changing the oil, but a new clutch pack sounds like a better long term fix.

How many K's has you diff got on it?

You could try changing the oil, but a new clutch pack sounds like a better long term fix.

110,000 with little to no off road work. If i was to change the clutch packs, i think i would rather invest in a locker of some description. The LSD isn't that bad, just looking to see what little tricks I can do in the mean time.

I would stay away from friction modifyer!

All it does is coat the plates with a slippery coating. It does stop the chirping, but also roots the LSD. Once in there, you can't change it back, even with diff oil changes.

I added some (genuine Ford 9" stuff, the best apparently) to my Surf's diff for the same reasons. Before that I had a nice and tight LSD. After that, the chirping went, but I was effectively stuck with an open centre diff when I went off-road, relying heavily on the hand-brake trick to help(which it does a little, but doesn't replace the LSD)......

My D22 has a tight LSD also, (which I want to stay that way) but I modify my on road driving to suit, especially when towing. I don't give it the berries when turning tight corners, rather I feed the power in when I start to straighten up the steering. Takes that chirping noise & slight vibration away, and gives the rear tyres a much easier time......

Just my opinion, from a bad experience.....

Pat

Latest posts

Back