Front Recovery Points

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siringo

Reaction score
I've just spent an hour under my D40 trying to work out where and how I can put some front recovery points on it that wont foul my bullbar when the strap is used.

I don't know what the D21's and 22's are like but the D40 is bloody useless.

It's beyond my comprehension how a major manufacturer can produce a vehicle that could have only ever have been considered to be used off as well as on road and not have provision for anywhere to attach anything to pull the vehicle out when it gets stuck.

There's a real opening there for people who make bullbars to incorporate recovery points in 'em, my ARB doesn't have anything when it could.

I love my D40 but gee, they make it tough....

This is appropriate I guess >> :deadhorse:

thats a shame, you could drill out the bullbar and bolt a couple of eyelets on it (if its a steel bullbar)

No it's an airbag compliant bar, everything sticks out past the bar's crumple zone so anything has to be mounted inboard of that and there aint much room.

doesnt it have the threaded holes in the chassis to fit recov points? like the '22

I wonder what bolting a recovery point to the winch mount would do. The winch has to take the same load as a recovery point and the nice part about doing it there is you automatically spread the load across both chassis rails.

I wouldn't snatch from it, but certainly it would allow a winching or a tow.

doesnt it have the threaded holes in the chassis to fit recov points? like the '22

It does on the passenger side, but not the drivers. There's another thread in the D40 section where a bloke used a 3rd party recovery point in that location, he was snatched out of a bog and the nuts holding the recovery point on pulled right through the chassis. That tells me that that point is not a suitable snatching location.

I wonder what bolting a recovery point to the winch mount would do. The winch has to take the same load as a recovery point and the nice part about doing it there is you automatically spread the load across both chassis rails.

I wouldn't snatch from it, but certainly it would allow a winching or a tow.

The winch is mounted into the bull bar. The bullbar is mounted off the chassis with some crumple blocks for the air bag compliance bit of it all. I guess they didn't put any tow points on the bullbar coz some nutter would snatch off 'em.

I'm going to knock up some snatch points out of 10mm steel and bolt 'em to the chassis way up behind the front wheels. It's far from ideal, but that's what we get for wanting modern vehicles I guess.

?? i have threaded recovery points on boths sides of my D40. now fitted with recovery points using M12x50 1.25 bolts.

I think the older D40's had tapped holes on both sides or it may be the Spanish ones but not the Thai??? I don't though, it's a real bummer.

There's another thread in the D40 section where a bloke used a 3rd party recovery point in that location, he was snatched out of a bog and the nuts holding the recovery point on pulled right through the chassis. That tells me that that point is not a suitable snatching location.

:confused2:. .Bummer!

I have after market recovery points fitted both sides.
They are attached to the captured nuts in the chassis rails.
Have used them a few times for snatching.

Incidentally my bullbar also attaches to the chassis at the same location.

Murph

I just thought of something. If you've got two recovery points on the front (which is sensible), it makes even more sense to attach an equalisation strap to BOTH hooks, and bring that up and onto your nudge/bull bar PRIOR to entering some place where you might need to be snatched from.

That should halve the load on each point, and prevent the risk of the captive nuts coming loose.

I just thought of something. If you've got two recovery points on the front (which is sensible), it makes even more sense to attach an equalisation strap to BOTH hooks, and bring that up and onto your nudge/bull bar PRIOR to entering some place where you might need to be snatched from.

That should halve the load on each point, and prevent the risk of the captive nuts coming loose.

Yep, great minds think alike. I thought of that during my thinking as well. I'm fairly sure you can buy equalisation straps, so I was thinking of getting one and just leaving it attached.

only if the car snatching you out is directly in front of you. Which is not always possible as i discovered while perched on top of a sand dune crest.

with those guys with aftermarket/custom made recovery points...can you please post pics as i only have the "weak" tow hook and looking at making some up

yeah correct , i just went to a local steel fab place and they made 2 of them up to my specs and painted cost like $50 in total i think

I got some Rhinomax recovery points off eBay. $75 +$10 postage.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 93

Latest posts

Back