Fuel Filter issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhander92

Reaction score
G'day guys,

Quick question, I've replaced the fuel filter assembly in my 2.5l 08 Navara and air bled/primed the system and car starts all well and good....

However, if I leave it for over say 6 hours without starting the car, I have to air bleed/prime the system again and the car again starts perfectly. All the hoses look good and there seems to be no sign of a leak anywhere. When squeezing the priming bulb I wait til it goes rock hard too.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

Cheers,

Air is entering the system in the 6hour period. You may need to make sure the seal on the flyer isn't binding and twisting on the housing. You'll need to pre fill the filter and rub a good amount of diesel on the seal to stop it from binding up. Other then that I don't know what else it could be

I'm having the exact same issue, also a complete noob. What is the flyer? cheers

Haha that makes a lot more sense, I'll have a play around and see if I can seal it up. It was put in by my mechanic though so I would have thought (hoped) he'd do it properly...

make sure that clamps are also nice and tight, remember there is no lift pump, the engine sucks the fuel up so there will be very little fuel pressure at the filter, it can be leaking and have no evidence of it, it will, when sitting, gravity feed back to the tank if it can draw air in

I've heard that some of the genuine filters have a faulty seal/flap inside the filter. This causes the fuel to run back to the tank.

If you have a non genuine filter go and buy one, put it in and the problem will disappear. Yes even brand name ones like Cooper use only genuine.

I am speaking from experience, they look good but there is just a little more tolerance in the fittings and they will leak when cold but fine when warm.

Unbelieveable took me a while to digest and try $125 dollars later fixed.

Aftermarket filters are usually the culprit. The inner seal doesn't quite mate up and overnight air manages to seep in allowing the fuel to drain back to the tank.

Happens a fair bit, genuine filters tend to fit slightly better.

Back