fuel tank and economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey is there an empty light on these, i cant seem to see it...

Nope. Not even a reserve marker. It's up to you to know what you're doing. Our trucks were built back in the day when manufacturers trusted us to know which end the engine is in and how to stop without ABS, etc...

Nope. Not even a reserve marker. It's up to you to know what you're doing. Our trucks were built back in the day when manufacturers trusted us to know which end the engine is in and how to stop without ABS, etc...

Those Flintstone's trucks are hell of the soles of the feet though

they do have good brakes tho! guy pulled up on me and i was a metre from running up his rear end today. and thats just the fronts i dont think theres anything left in the drums ( i havent looked at the shoes since i bought the car!)

Yeah, just looked in the original owner's handbook. Still in the glove box!
Says a 60L tank. Guess the gauge is a bit wobbly after all.

Revisiting an old thread for the sake of completeness. I've run the tank down past empty a couple of times, and it's taken 53 or 54L easily. No signs of struggling at all, so I guess 60L could be a reasonable size for the petrol tank after all.

Couldn't quite bring myself to keep going with the fuel guage already 5mm below the empty :dong:

im gonna take the tank out one day and mod the float. works for some of our newer vehicles, either that or replace the sender.............

ive heard that VN-VS commonwhore tanks slide right into place between the chassis rails im wondering if these are lighter and have more capacity then standard tank... also the commonwhore would almost have to have a better fuel pump wouldnt it? im not sure about any of this just wondering if anyone knows anything about these rumors?

ive heard that VN-VS commonwhore tanks slide right into place between the chassis rails im wondering if these are lighter and have more capacity then standard tank... also the commonwhore would almost have to have a better fuel pump wouldnt it? im not sure about any of this just wondering if anyone knows anything about these rumors?

Never heard that one, will have to look into that.

might be buying my mates Ti with the vg30, anyone know what they are like economically?

Is it dual fuel? I've heard they can be pretty thirsty, or at least the amount of fuel it takes to produce x amount of power is high. Other than that no complaints.

How much is he asking? How much are you after for yours if you do trade up?

The VG30E is a very reliable motor, not the most efficient but it was designed when fuel was cheap.

Dave.

good to know, but unfortunately i found out my mate sold it right after i left work....... for $550 11months reg . Ti auto !!! missed opertunity

Just out of curiosity what kind of k's can you expect out of a diesel?

I had a petrol hilux years ago that I thought it had a dodgy fuel gauge, so I placed a small fuel tin in the back as a backup and ran the fuel tank empty measuring the km on the odometer and also taking a mental note how far the gauge was below E when it finally stopped. Once it ran out splashed some more fuel in from the spare can and went and filled up. After that I knew exactly what my range was and how to read the gauge.

Having never owned a diesel before I have heard you cannot run them empty? What happens if you do and will running it dry damage any of the components? or have I been told an old wife's tale?

Haf....:sarcastic:

I had a petrol hilux years ago that I thought it had a dodgy fuel gauge, so I placed a small fuel tin in the back as a backup and ran the fuel tank empty measuring the km on the odometer and also taking a mental note how far the gauge was below E when it finally stopped. Once it ran out splashed some more fuel in from the spare can and went and filled up. After that I knew exactly what my range was and how to read the gauge.

Having never owned a diesel before I have heard you cannot run them empty? What happens if you do and will running it dry damage any of the components? or have I been told an old wife's tale?

Haf....:sarcastic:

Dont think you damage the components but you cant just put more diesel in and start it like a petrol. Cant remember exactly what you have to do though. I'm curious as i'm just about to(hopefully ) buy a 86 dual cab diesel d21 and was wondering what i can expect out of it fuel wise since i travel 700km a week.

Running the pump on air will damage it. ie, run it dry, then sit there cranking the motor for half an hour. You can run it out of diesel, you just have to use the priming pump to fill the lines back up with diesel. It's not a big deal, just a hassle.

I'm curious as i'm just about to(hopefully ) buy a 86 dual cab diesel d21 and was wondering what i can expect out of it fuel wise since i travel 700km a week.

I can tell you my 88 Dual Cab TD27 4x4 1740kg uses 10-11L/100km mixed cycle 80% highway unloaded, not much worse with the tray loaded 12L/100km. Towing increases the consumption greatly. That's with the injectors in a sorry state. With that consumtion I usually take 500kms out of a tank before refuelling, it's a 60L tank.

Of course an 86 will have an SD25 diesel motor in it, different story again. If it's a single cab it will have an 80L tank. Best to ask the seller about that vehicle's consumption, though you might get a bullshit answer.

I can tell you my 88 Dual Cab TD27 4x4 1740kg uses 10-11L/100km mixed cycle 80% highway unloaded, not much worse with the tray loaded 12L/100km. Towing increases the consumption greatly. That's with the injectors in a sorry state. With that consumtion I usually take 500kms out of a tank before refuelling, it's a 60L tank.

Of course an 86 will have an SD25 diesel motor in it, different story again. If it's a single cab it will have an 80L tank. Best to ask the seller about that vehicle's consumption, though you might get a bullshit answer.[/QUOTE]

The car is a dual cab ute and my drive to work is 50% highway and 50% dirt back roads so no stopping or starting.

This is the vehicle i'm looking at.
nissan navara dual cab 4wd diesel - eBay, Passenger Vehicles, Cars, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 16-Jul-10 20:45:35 AEST)

The car is a dual cab ute and my drive to work is 50% highway and 50% dirt back roads so no stopping or starting.

This is the vehicle i'm looking at.
nissan navara dual cab 4wd diesel - eBay, Passenger Vehicles, Cars, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 16-Jul-10 20:45:35 AEST)

Looks like a nice truck in good nick. Consumption, I'm going to guess, will be around the 11-12l/100km mark, so you'll see around 450km to a tank. It's a heavy vehicle with a small tank unfortunately.

Long range tanks to fit the D21 can be had for around $1000 easily.

The seller isn't wrong about the SD25 - it will never ever let you down, but you'll be living life in the slow lane. It took me months to get used to the feeling of a small NA diesel.

Latest posts

Back