Fuel tank Problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaysea

Reaction score
Hi Guys, just a quick question about my 2012 Navara d40 TD, my fuel light came on and says i had 80km till empty, i filled the tank up fully looked at the fuel bowser and it only took 62L which i thought was strange considering it is a 80L fuel tank! Just doesnt seem right to me!
any help would be much appreciated cheers

Hi Guys, just a quick question about my 2012 Navara d40 TD, my fuel light came on and says i had 80km till empty, i filled the tank up fully looked at the fuel bowser and it only took 62L which i thought was strange considering it is a 80L fuel tank! Just doesnt seem right to me!
any help would be much appreciated cheers

Mine is the same mate there is about 120k left when light comes on btw mine is a 2007

There doesn't appear to be a magic figure at which fuel lights come on but between 10-20 seems the norm for most Nav's. There are factors which can change the figure slightly too.

As for the distance to empty because of the way the figure is calculated that has to be a variable figure and your 80k to empty could easily have pushed out to the 120K 4byfor suggests without too much trouble.

If I was you I would do a a few tests, run half a dozen tanks until the light comes, fill up as near as practical to when you see the light and see if the fuel light is always coming on at a particular figure. Then if you know your average economy you can use that figure to work out how far you can actually travel when the light comes on. Until then treat the distance to empty as a worse case scenario and be pleasantly surprised if you don't run out when it originally said you would.

That's a hell of a lot of fuel to use. 18L for 80km is about 22.5LPHK which is disastrous for a diesel unless it's towing hard.

Any idea how many km you'd done on that tank? Using one of your trip meters (reset when filling) would give us a better idea of economy. Are you towing?

The light can come on anywhere from 10-20L remaining as Krafty says - mine is usually around 15L but if I'm climbing/descending it gets it a little wrong. If I'm towing I count on 75km to empty, and not towing up to 150km - and my car should not get anywhere near as good a fuel economy as yours.

thanks for feedback guys, no towing at all just highway! just filled it up today and set my trip, so will see how many Ks I get out of a tank, how much km do use get out of a tank? my navara is auto! I am currently at 11.3L /100km!
I also have 285/70/17 tyres on so I was thinking that may be the difference but am not sure?

I'm cheating. I drove from Newcastle to Melbourne, hopped on the Spirit, drove around Devonport and then refuelled in Launceston - 1118km with 30L left in the tank. 150L tank so it's not really fair to compare!

That was highway cycle, 2700kg, on 265/70R16s - 44mm greater circumference to standard 255/70R16s. Your tyres are around 212mm greater circumference to mine so if yours is a 4cyl motor you are probably working it harder = higher fuel consumption, particularly when in traffic.

Latest posts

Back