Fuel tank size?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aydon

Reaction score
g'day all,
just wondering how big the tank should be in my '88 Nav, Z24 4x4?
any help is much appreciated..
cheers :)

60L? Is that all? maybe my fuel economy isnt quite as bad as i thought it was...

Your judgement of fuel economy shouldn't be clouded by the tank size. Reset your trip meter when you fill up (try to fill to the same spot both this time and the next), drive till the gauge says empty-ish (or half full if you want), fill up again, divide litres by kilometers, then multiple by 100. That will give you litres per 100km irrespective of tank size.

well i suppose its not so much economy... just how quickly my gauge drops with a set amount of driving, but having a smaller tank explains more or less why this happens...
- nice build by the way, certainly an interesting conversion..

Oh right. Yeah my gauge moves quite slowly for the top half, then once it gets past halfway it flies towards empty. Bit weird, given the tank's cross section area is bigger in the bottom 2/3rds.

Thanks mate.

My gauge says it's full at full, at half way I've used about 20l, then the last half seems to be 30-35l, with the final dribbles lasting for an extra 100k.

Don't judge the gauge at all.

Just fill a full tank, drive for 200k, re fill to top, divide your total k's by two and that will tell you your average consumption.

But the tank is 60l for mine. Plus I think it's 5l in reserve.

i filled it the other day, full to the brim, and my guage must be out something shocking, as it wont go much past 3/4... :/

You talking about the Terrano? That should be an 80L tank, with the option to fit a 90L tank from a Patrol (hangs down a bit lower)
Nah, my diesel Terrano only does 60l. I mean, it could do 80l, and I could have a dodgey fuel gauge, but I honestly wouldn't risk it and fair sure it's 60l.

Actually, looking in the manual, it says 60l.

Didn't know the Patrol's tank could slip in. I could use 90l, that'd give me a full 1000k's.

Last edited:
well, so far i have done 80km or so since the full tank, now my gauge says i have half a tank.. now either my nav is using insane amounts of juice, or my gauge is out shockingly --- doesnt help when im still only a learner :p

Aydon, it won't cost you too much to go back to a servo and fill the tank again to find out how much you'd actually used.

When filling the tank there are two schools of thought.

1) Fill until the bowser clicks off the first time. Now with my car that just won't cut it any more - since I had the auxiliary tank put in, I get a lot of flow through the breather tubes and the overflow pipe, so the bowser gets triggered with about 60L to go and again at about 30L to go. I now use option 2. If you use option 1, you may find that different bowsers click off at different levels as well, so it's fairly inaccurate.

2) Fill until you can see the fuel in the neck. It should foam a little and be obvious. If you fill to that level every time, then the only error is in the bowser's reading of the fuel input, and I believe the law allows the bowser to be up to 3% inaccurate.

Haha, I exclusively use option 2 tony, and when I can see the fuel, I leave it sit for a few seconds and give the car a little rock, to get the air bubbles to sort themselves out around the baffles in the tank and come up the neck, then I fill it some more, I can usually get an extra 2-3L in the tank this way, and if I bring it to the same point every time, then I know my fuel calcs are spot on.

I have a d21 Pathfinder and Terrano, and I have owned 2 other Terranos, they have an 80 L tank. For each I have once driven until nearly empty (with a 5 L container in the back) and they've each taken 78-79L to fill. I could never get a straight answer anywhere so I found out for myself. Now I know I have over 100km more range than I thought. (these have the tank behind the rear wheel).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back