Gearbox has anyone put a splitter in one

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack2840

Reaction score
G'day
I had this idea, has any one thought of or seen a reduction gear that you can shift on the go like a truck splitter I thought of it to try and slow reverse and the lower gears for when you are pulling or backing in that tight spot
Cheers jack (I know this sounds far fetched)

apart from 1st low is really bloody high you can't shift on the fly.

i looked into this. there is a crowd in the usa that make under/over drive units which effectively gives you a 10 speed box. downside is the unit fits after the gearbox so will only work in 2wd and its expensive.

the other way would be to make a twin transfers setup and use a planetary gear. fit it between gearbox and transfer. i doubt there is anything on the market and it will seriously cost to custom make it.

Thanks tweak and all, il still look into it it's just some of the Sandhills around here it would be handy cause they are that rough and grids and stuff save shifting full gears and stoping.

Last edited:
If you want more gears drop an Atlas Transfer Case behind you box, they now make them with 4 lots of ratios, it will give you 20 gears

If you want more gears drop an Atlas Transfer Case behind you box, they now make them with 4 lots of ratios, it will give you 20 gears

Mate can you shift any of them ratios on the fly or are they like a normal transfer

nah have to be crawling as the box has only one syncro per range, has a planetary gearbox on the front of it. Im not sure if you can shift that on the fly but I doubt it

How about trying a gearbox builder to see if they can make a synchro version of the current transfer case , someone like modena or the likes I imagine they would charge a lot but worth looking into. And maybe see what they would charge to different low ratios aswell

Sounds to me like what's needed is a complete ratio change. There are a couple of ways to achieve this.

First: drop an auto tranny in and be done with it. Accept the loss of fine control you get with the clutch/throttle manipulation. You can fit an external transmission cooler and just belt the shit out of the tranny when you need to. It's technically not really a ratio change, but the slippage below stall speed of the torque converter might achieve your goal at the expense of heat (hence the need for a cooler).

Second: big job. Drop front and rear diffs and install lower-ratio units. Drop the 5-speed gearbox and go for a custom 6-speed (perhaps a Hollinger from a Monaro?) so that first gear is much lower than before, but your 6th gear is roughly equal to what 5th was before. I'm talking about the total drive ratios here (diffs included). I guess if you DO that, your first gear in 4LO would hardly make the car move at all, but locked you'd be able to take the thing up and over Everest and go "ok, bring on the next hill!"

i would love to have an underdrive unit fitted even if its just 2wd. would make hauling loads a whole lot easier.

Thanks again for the ideas il see how I go and what ends up happening I recon that I will have the box out soon and il see what happens
Cheers jack

A bit late I know . but Toyota made a electronic splitter that bolted onto the back of their Dyna light truck gear boxes . standard 5 speed box , with splitter on all gears . works well on an under powered and tired truck . pre select and lift / stab accelatator

Latest posts

Back