genuine snorkel sealing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big zetor

Reaction score
hi just wondering what everyone did to seal it properly because when i fitted one to my girlfriends 08 desiel d40 nav today i noticed it is not properley sealed from water which i thought was the whole point of having one. thanks

Last edited:
There is a fair bit of information about the subject if you do a search.

I had mine fitted by the dealer & all ducting from the side apron to the air box had to be pulled apart & sealed with urethane. The foam thing on the side apron is also gone.

There are still one or two small drain holes in the bottom of the airbox.

Last edited:
sikaflex is usally the easiest option, seen as from factory its a high air intake, not a snorkle. goop everything up then once dry if you put your hand over the head of the snorkle and the car starts to stall its sealed.

I've been meaning to seal mine too. Have a genuine one fitted by nissan but car is now out of warranty. Last trip, did a river crossing bottom of windscreen high and air filter was soaked. Be interested to follow comments on this topic.

x2 on the sikaflex. But what ever you do dont put off sealing it up properly as i did which nearly killed my nav.

I had a look at how safari snorkels are sealed. I found that they did away with the so called pre-cleaner at the front of the airbox, along with all factory plastic ducting. The snorkel was directly connected to the bottom of the airbox by a silicone hose. Im a fitter by trade, so at work I made a adaptor out of some 3 inch stainless tube and some silicone hose off Ebay. I havent got any photos at the moment, but if people are interested i'll take some post them with a bit more info on how to do it. It really increases the induction noise too sounds tuff now! lol

hi mate would like to see a photo if you could, this sounds like the way to go cheers.

had another look today and also noticed that the ducting is all click together from the inlet to the main housing so thats not air tight either so in other words all that sh#t needs to be pulled apart and sealed properly or tossed in the bin.

Ok guys heres a few pics of my mod. Its made out of 3" stainless tube, some stainless sheet metal and a 3" silicone 90 deg elbow (try to get one with a very tight bend radius) off Ebay worth about $19 from memory.
As you can see from the photos, I made an oval shape out of the sheet metal. I left 2 little legs at the ends, so the adaptor elbow can be pop-riveted to the inner guard, to give it strenght. Also drilled a 3'' hole at the windscreen end of the plate.
I mitred and welded the tube, to give me a 90 degree angle, then welded the elbow into the plate with a downward angle so it would line up with airbox inlet. The gap between the tube and the plate, needs to be kept to a minimum only enough to fit the hose and hose clamp about 5mm. Things are pretty tight in there! LOL
Then just mounted and sealed the adaptor, trimed the silicone hose to size and clamped it all together.
The diameter of the inlet of the air box was about 2.75", but the 3" silicone hose clamped down onto it without a problem.
This wasn't real easy to do, there stuff all room! but if ya handy with a welder you'll be able to do it. If you have any question please ask me, i'll try to help. Cheers Glenn
Snorkle Mod.JPG

Snorkle Mod (3).JPG

Snorkle Mod (2).JPG

Snorkle Mod (4).JPG

Snorkle Mod (5).JPG

Last edited:
ok this looks a lot easyer than mucking around trying to seal the crap thats allready there thank you very much mate thats an excellent job.

No probs glad to help. Its a worry that people buy these snorkles, to be a snorkle but in no way are they sealed. Its a bit rude of Nissan I think. I guess we're lucky we spotted it, before we gave our motors a drink. Cheers Glenn

Last edited:
Does the Sikaflex have to be "sensor safe" as i was told by my local 4WD centre?

Does the Sikaflex have to be "sensor safe" as i was told by my local 4WD centre?

I just used waterproof sika, just don't turn your car on untill it drys out , I left my airbox open and blocked the pipe to th turbo and left the fan on it over night.

I found mud I my airbox and the filter had been sucked out of shape into the pipe, since sealing the holes no issues just like old mate said I an always hear a whistle like a siren.

So what I am hearing is that the Navara snorkel is just for looks? I am in the process of getting a new STX with a snorkel of all things but if I find out that it has more than just the hole at the top then I might as well not get one. Shame about that as I will now have to consult the minister of finance for one (I was getting it on the sly). How much for a different snorkel then?

Thanks!

it's a very cheap and easy mod if your handy in the workshop I've made 3 of these now takes about 45mins to fab and weld and let the paint dry over night. takes about another 45mins to fit to the vehicle. thanks again widge87 for your help.

So what I am hearing is that the Navara snorkel is just for looks? I am in the process of getting a new STX with a snorkel of all things but if I find out that it has more than just the hole at the top then I might as well not get one. Shame about that as I will now have to consult the minister of finance for one (I was getting it on the sly). How much for a different snorkel then?

Thanks!

No idea for a different snorkel but it will probably be less expensive. Although going after market will be no guarantee that it will be water tight either.
However it is possible to seal up the standard Nissan issue. I did. You will have to work back through the whole snorkel tract, this will include removing the inner guard. I used Sikaflex here with no probs. Make sure you check the pre-cleaner to the main part of the air box to as that is not water tight either. Infact that little U shaped pipe can vibrate and give you the shits so good to seal it good and tight.

Great to hear its helped you guys out! Not only does it seal it correctly it sounds tough as now! Which is a bonus lol

Latest posts

Back