getting fit/beep test

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jap55s

Reaction score
hey guys, at the moment i am trying to get fit. i also need to get to 9.6 on the beep test. at the moment i am really over weight. i can get to about 6.8 on the beep test, but i need 9.6 by 2 months time.
whats some good training and eating tips please?

i did "Light & Easy" last year and lost about 10kg in that time. you would still need to do something to increase your fitness, but the L&E is guaranteed weight loss by just altering your diet. good luck with it.

Plenty of cardio, find a group of mates to train with, and practise the Beep test regularly. Most people improve their results in a fitness test by doing it regularly irrespective of increase in fitness.
Dietwise eat less and eat healthy...

goodluck!

jap55s said:
hey guys, at the moment i am trying to get fit. i also need to get to 9.6 on the beep test. at the moment i am really over weight. i can get to about 6.8 on the beep test, but i need 9.6 by 2 months time.
whats some good training and eating tips please?

You trying for the firies?

Doing the beep test is an art. Some people can run 10-15k and struggle to get to 8 on the beep test.

It breaks up your run. It tests agility. Lactic acid plays a great part in the run. I can't tell you of a beep test where I haven't thrown up after it. I was doing 12's though

What worked for me is at the take off for the slower levels, 2 big push off strides followed by a slow jog through to the end. In the earlier levels shake of your legs and arms. Warm up.

In practice, learn to turn to the left on one lap (use your right pivot foot) and at the other end pivot off your left and turn right. This will stop you getting dizzy as well as spreading the lactic over both quads and calves.

Work on your breathing early and concentrate on your breathing as time goes on. Avoid stitch! Big breaths! Keep your arms down by your side and your chin up

Be early on the beeps and use up your penalties. Get warned for going to early. You'd rather be going early then be chasing yourself.

As as soon as you are behind and chasing yourself, give one lap a sprint.

I've got the mp3 I can send you. Do it 3 times a week before you do it. When you train, add another half a meter as a buffer. When your training only go 8.6 for the first 2 days and make 9 on the 3rd.
On the testing day you'll get pushed by everyone else and you'll get over the line easier. Coupled with the shorter distance you'll be laughing.

Good luck sir.

jap55s said:
cheers, with lite and easy, is there meetings or anything like that? or they just delivery your food?

No meetings. And its delivered weekly, and you can stop whenever you like if you dont like it. Just get on their website and you choose meals and they deliver them. You can do a full program ( I recommend doing the full one for a week, then you can modify it and just do lunches and dinner), or just main meals. Once you have an idea of what your intake should be and types of food it's pretty easy to do it yourself. You just need to stick to it, and it is EASY! I'd be surprised if you did the full program and were hungry ever, the volume of food is huge. Good luck with it.

I did the beep test for the Queensland fire service 12 months ago and blitzed it, I trained by walking and sprinting between power poles, there about 100 m apart... Walk one ... Sprint one. Not sure if it will help you but it definitely help me. At the moment Ive been hitting these protien shakes... I miss one meal a day replacing it with the shake... Don't feel like I'm missing anything and am loosing about 2-3kg a week... What are you try for? As gorm83 said...when your in the group situation you all push each other and they won't let you fail. Good luck mate.. Let me know if you get there.....

I found good food, cardio and alot of swimming built up my fitness. 14.2 is my PB.
When your watching footy the umps have to reach 15. Thats amazing

ah the good ol beep test. i rember at school me and another dude being the last two left at 13's and on the point of spewing. back when i was fit. few guys i know have lost alot of weight by boxing and doing some skipping and a bit of jogging. its all high cardio work.

good luck

Don't just eat less, all that will happen is you'll be cranky & tired, try eating smaller quantities more often, with things like poached chicken & turkey salads a real winner, little things like taking the skin off chicken make big differences, its that saturated fat you want to avoid. Carb's aren't the enemy, its the simple ones (sugars) that are, good breakfast of porridge oats are a good example of eating the correct carbs at the correct time. Carbs like white rice & potatoes should be avoided as much as possible, and definitely leave them out of your dinner as they will turn to fat over night.
As for exercise, start with walking, walk some steep hills if you can find them as its good for your calves then run them when you feel you can, try to avoid running on the road (shin splints- ouch) and avoid running downhill.
If all you have is two months then i'd look at getting a personal trainer, they will keep you progressing & keep track of everything, as well as help with diet.
As mentioned earlier, Boxing is the absolute winner, any fat will fall off.

Give up alcohol if you haven't all ready. Drink lots of water, you should take a piss every hour.
Ensure you get plenty of rest, the combination of sleep and healthy food will give you the energy needed to want to exercise. Don't worry about your weight, as your fitness improves the weight will automatically fall off.

What do you do for a job now?

I did the beep test for the Queensland fire service 12 months ago and blitzed it, I trained by walking and sprinting between power poles, there about 100 m apart... Walk one ... Sprint one. Not sure if it will help you but it definitely help me. At the moment Ive been hitting these protien shakes... I miss one meal a day replacing it with the shake... Don't feel like I'm missing anything and am loosing about 2-3kg a week... What are you try for? As gorm83 said...when your in the group situation you all push each other and they won't let you fail. Good luck mate.. Let me know if you get there.....

Are you in the Firies Alpha.We started a thread for firies ambo's ses and coppers.Cheers Scotty.

No unfortunately not, I have passed every test , blitzed the physical. Before the gfc there was ment to be a large amount retiring but the gfc ruined that and they stuck around as it ate most of their super. I'm now on a list waiting for a call, I've though about going rural just to get a foot in.

No unfortunately not, I have passed every test , blitzed the physical. Before the gfc there was ment to be a large amount retiring but the gfc ruined that and they stuck around as it ate most of their super. I'm now on a list waiting for a call, I've though about going rural just to get a foot in.

You still have to pass the Pysc test too. I've heard that's the hardest.

Back