Going from a 'performance' car to a 4WD. Have you done it?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b2tf

Reaction score
Have noticed that there seems to be a bit of a trend among guys going from SS/XR8 utes into 4WD's. I myself am coming out of 4 XR8 utes into the D40 and there are a few things that I know i will miss but also a fair few I am looking forward to - probably the biggest one being not having to worry about driving a lowered car.

Has anybody else made the switch and if so, what prompted it?

unwanted attention and wanting to explore australia prompted my change. however instead of worrying about speed bumps and ramps in carparks i now have to keep an eye out for those steel bars on the ceiling when entering shopping centres.

Have noticed that there seems to be a bit of a trend among guys going from SS/XR8 utes into 4WD's. I myself am coming out of 4 XR8 utes into the D40 and there are a few things that I know i will miss but also a fair few I am looking forward to - probably the biggest one being not having to worry about driving a lowered car.

Has anybody else made the switch and if so, what prompted it?

Got sick of driving this.
Loved it and the power. And yes I love needing new 20" Tyres every couple months. Sound system was ridiculous. Grey to drive, but could get over humps, couldn't tow with it couldn't do anything other than "cruise" haha. I love hunting and the bush so it was the only way. Going with a mate was getting old

Attachments

• image-4084039465.jpg
    image-4084039465.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 86
Got sick of driving this.
Loved it and the power. And yes I love needing new 20" Tyres every couple months. Sound system was ridiculous. Grey to drive, but could get over humps, couldn't tow with it couldn't do anything other than "cruise" haha. I love hunting and the bush so it was the only way. Going with a mate was getting old

Hearing you. One of my XR's was an AU3, I put Edelbrock heads and the biggest Crow Cam I could fit in it. Was awesome fun to drive but I reckon I paid for the local Caltex's renovations. Still miss it though.

Even though I had utes I never, ever put anything in the back of them. I'd weld the tub shut if I could.

A diesel D40 feels like a performance car compared to the ZD30 powered D22. Haha.

My last car was a Pintara TRX, no V8 but would keep up with a VS Commodore V6 and beat.

Couldn't beat a VN V6 though.

Hey b2tf. I've just come into a D40 aswell. I still have my au3 xr8 ute to, I pm'd u on AFF also about the XR headlight. But the D40 has been great for the week I've had it, not worrying about potholes, steep gutters, and wheels scraping on full lock, oh and the extra 300mm ground clearance to :) for a truck they are great to drive I reckon

Hey b2tf. I've just come into a D40 aswell. I still have my au3 xr8 ute to, I pm'd u on AFF also about the XR headlight. But the D40 has been great for the week I've had it, not worrying about potholes, steep gutters, and wheels scraping on full lock, oh and the extra 300mm ground clearance to :) for a truck they are great to drive I reckon

G'day mate, I recognise the username now. I haven't got a PM from you on AFF, but I don't have that light either sorry. The guy that bought my ute actually bought it.

Good to hear you've also made the jump from AU to D40.

i had everything from a 68 impala to a hz ute to several modified turbo skylines before i got my gq, got me hooked on camping and off roading, still got the gq but that will makeway for maybe a 2004 nissan stagea sometime next year

dunno so much about coming out of one, we have an xr5t as well as the d22 so i get one of each. mind you the xr5 is stock but still low enough in the front to scrape on steep driveways, grrr.

as well as that i have a motorbike, although it's only a 250 it has its perks, like getting through traffic quickly, lol

so i can still have "fast" when i want to

Went from an AU v8, to a VY HSV and then a worked VZ SS ute. And after the 'speedster' phase couldn't be kept up with, I went back to my roots and into my D22. Also bought fastest production motorbike to keep the speed monkey off my back. I miss the comfort of the club sport and the pure drive feeling of the ute, but I won't trade my D22 until she dies.

three wrx's, then into a d40 for touring and a golf gti for a daily driver..next stage.. prado and
an sti about 6 months away...

Skyline gtr, to an rx 7, to a hz v8, to my d22, with a few get me around cars inbetween. Still want both but the wife won't let me...

I came from a modded xr6 turbo. Every now and then i get the urge to sell the navara and get another fast car. But then I look at the price of 98 octane unleaded and quickly change my mind haha

Back