Grinding sound in front end

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoknows

Reaction score
Before I start pulling thing apart, thought I'll ask the question.

When I load up the front LH wheel "turning right", I gets this grinding/gravelly sound. It's just started in the last few days and theres no sound when driving straight or turning left.

Would this be the CV ???

Just to be safe, I'd jack the front wheels up and give them a good shake, see if the wheel bearings are allowing any movement.

Without a little further information it's hard to say. Have you put larger tyres on, have you put in a lift kit, are your hubs unlocked, how do the brakes feel and sound, are you using mud tyres?

Tony,
Std tyres fitted and no lift kit. The brakes are fine and if I lift the wheel of the ground and rotate it is feels & sounds fine. I have not checked to see if the hub is unlocked, it should be. As I have not had them locked in for a couple of months.

What happens (with the wheel jacked off the ground so it can be rotated) if you grasp the tyre front and rear and try to turn the wheel back and forward rapidly? Do you get any clunking? What happens if you now grab the top and bottom of the tyre and try bending the wheel over and back (not turning it on its axle)?

What I'm thinking is the wheel bearings might have an issue, and the easiest test is to grab the wheel when it's unloaded and shake it. It shouldn't move (apart from the rotation that you'd expect from a wheel!).

Mind you, if you get noises from the wheel when trying to move it through a horizontal plane (left and right) and the vertical movement is quiet, then you might have a problem with a steering linkage. This wheel-off-the-ground test is good for a few different problems.

How long since the last brake pad change?

I tried all of the above and the wheel seem fine, my first thought was a wheel bearing also. If it was the brake pads I would expect that sound every time i brake. The sound only happens when turning right and I put the LH wheel under load.
Is there any way to test or check a CV without pulling it off.

hey hows it going i have got the same problem i have got a 09 str have done just over 52000kms and when i put it under load turning a corner its grinding like it has a flat tyre just wondering if you ending up finding the problem cheers

I still have the problem. My mechanic could not find any faults with CV or bearings on the front end. I'm starting to think it's tyre noise, but why now and only to front left. Why not the front right as well. I might change just that wheel with another with a different tread pattern and see if the noise is still there. ????
If that does not solve it I will replace the bearings for insurance, as that was my first thought.

hey guys,
just out of interest is only happening when it is on full lock? Cause i found mine was making a metal grinding sort of sound when at full lock and checked the steering bumpstops just behind the tyres found it had worn threw the nylon covers.
Luke

Luke I checked bumpstops and all well on my tub. The noise does not happen every time I turn right but more often when you do a sharp right turn with a bit of speed.
I must try out a different tyre tread pattern and see if the noise is still there.

I figured out the noise in mine.

It was a intercooler pipe hitting the left front tyre at droop.

Fixed.

I'm also having this problem. It's been happening for some time now and I want to get it fixed before it becomes something more sinister. I think it also very slightly affects steering when taking long bends at speed on the fwy.

It happens when taking a right turn(not lock) at a faster than average pace. As the weight shifts to the left wheel it feels like the right wheel bearings start slopping about and making the rumbling/grinding sound due to the lesser weight or perhaps the angle of the tyre??

I've jacked mine up and tried to feel the slop but its not really evident. I suppose that doesnt rule out the bearing still being faulty and someone(previous owner/mechanic) just tightening it up a little to remove the play.

I find it strange that Whoknows(sorry dont know your name) mechanic couldnt pick up on the problem. Any further developments there mate?

My question is how hard is it to change the wheel bearings? I've looked at the service manual and it states I need a special tool to remove the hubs, is anyone the wiser on this? I might search a bit further for a thread regarding changing the wheel bearings...

My question is how hard is it to change the wheel bearings? I've looked at the service manual and it states I need a special tool to remove the hubs, is anyone the wiser on this? I might search a bit further for a thread regarding changing the wheel bearings...

Wheel bearings are a piece of piss, I don't remember any special tools when me and a mate did mine a few weeks back. I smashed my left CV so changed both and both front wheel bearings at the same time. It only took just over an hour and that included machining the break rotors. Admittedly we did have a hoist and a full mechanics workshop of tools.

Wheel bearings are a piece of piss, I don't remember any special tools when me and a mate did mine a few weeks back. I smashed my left CV so changed both and both front wheel bearings at the same time. It only took just over an hour and that included machining the break rotors. Admittedly we did have a hoist and a full mechanics workshop of tools.

Thanks for the heads up!
I'm hoping they're a piece of piss cuz I'm working out of a carport with a basic set of tools... :hmmmm:

How bad was the CV damage and what symptoms did you get from that?
Have you had any of the issues mentioned here?
How many km's on your nav, what condition were the old parts?
Sorry, full of questions I am...haha

Yeah I was having the same problem with full lock turning right.

On inspection mine was what Luke above was describing. The steering bump stops were rubbing as there's no nylon on them. It was more noticeable when you were turning full lock and there was a slight bump or dip in the road and it makes this horrible grinding noise.

On that does anyone know what this part is called or where I can get these nylon stoppers from?

Hey Chopz,

With the stops, i recall reading that they're replaceable but not worth the effort given they wear out pretty quickly.

I removed what was left of my nylon caps and adjusted all four stops to increase the turn a little more than factory. Screwed each one in about 5-10mm from memory. Applied some moly grease to all surfaces and it hasnt made a squeek since, thats about 15000kms ago.

...plus i get a little extra turning circle which is nice but obviously eveyones setup(tyres/suspension) will differ so just be careful nothing is rubbing if you do this.

Yeah I was having the same problem with full lock turning right.

On inspection mine was what Luke above was describing. The steering bump stops were rubbing as there's no nylon on them. It was more noticeable when you were turning full lock and there was a slight bump or dip in the road and it makes this horrible grinding noise.

On that does anyone know what this part is called or where I can get these nylon stoppers from?

Hey mate i don't bother getting new ones i wound the bolts in about 7mm and put some perspex heated and curved to the shape of what the stops rub on so they are working well but with having better turning circle now i hardly put it on full lock.
hope this helps mate.

Luke

Dave, I am about to fit the same intercooler as yours (ASE Front mount). You mentioned the tyre was rubbing against the pipe when turning. Should I modify the pipe some how? Cheers

Back