Had a bad run with an STX 550. Anyone like to comment?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear about the problems. The V9X powerplant has been pretty reliable, it's a shame to hear about issues with the flagship model.

Australia is supposed to be introducing lemon laws - if an item sold is returned 3 times for the same problem, the item MUST be replaced. I heard Victoria had already started the passage of that through parliament (if it hasn't passed it already).

There were issues with EGR and the dealers were replacing the valves AND updating the software, and someone came on to this forum and said that it wasn't the EGR valve at all, it was only the software - I wonder if this dealer did ALL the work? Maybe they just replaced the valve and thought "let's leave it at that, stuff the software that's bull" ?

If so, Nissan would have every right to kick the dealer's ass. And it SHOULD be kicked too, if they're so incapable of even moving a couple of cars in order to make a sale, then perhaps the idiots shouldn't be in the business of selling cars!

Good luck with the pursuit of this.

Hey. bay city nissan should know about the egr faults because my 550 had it and was fixed by maryborough nissan. Same owner for both dealers! Other than that no other problems on mine. The dealer is a real piece of work. I have been told that because my car was not purchased from him when it come to service I would be put at the bottom of the list. But when a Brisbane dealer is doing the price $8000 better and they could not get close, i took that risk.

Hey. bay city nissan should know about the egr faults because my 550 had it and was fixed by maryborough nissan. Same owner for both dealers! Other than that no other problems on mine. The dealer is a real piece of work. I have been told that because my car was not purchased from him when it come to service I would be put at the bottom of the list. But when a Brisbane dealer is doing the price $8000 better and they could not get close, i took that risk.

that's speaks volumes about their customer service, doesn't it! easy fix, don't get Nissan to service it lol, I bet if we had a poll on who lets a stealership service our trucks, far more people self service or get a local mechanic to do the work, mine only sees a stealership for recall or warranty stuff

Hi BERNDTY
I think your the bloke that I've been quoting to these mechs at Bay City.
I had heard that there was another one with this problem.
And your quite right I saved close to $8000 by buying elsewhere as well, and all because the salesman was to bloody lazy to move a couple of cars.

Bay City rang this morning to say that Nissan have now told them to replace the injectors. If nothing else I should have a new motor at this rate

Customer service? What customer service!

I hope it all works out for you mate and we all find out the source of the problem.
I know that when i bought my 550 earlier this year that Nissan were saying that if the Navara was off the road for more than 24 hours then they would supply you with a similiar loan car until yours was back on the road.
I will look up my old paperwork and see if i can find it in writing because as far as i am concerned you should have a free loan car whilst yours if off the road.

Hey I have never gone to bay city nissan. Only maryborough. And I have been told that comment has been said to more than one person. Any way after my 10 000 km service I went to tow my boat up the coast and I was thinking I would check the vitals 1st. Lucky I did because the oil level was low and it has never used or leaked oil. When I questioned nissan about I got the feeling that they did not want to know.? But this time at the 20 000 they filled it right. I would take it somewhere eles but with the dealer saying what he said what's goin to happen if the car does break down?? I had good customer service at the start but now I think it could be better. When my egr faulted the yellow check engine light come up on the dash. No loss of power. But still went into nissan for a few days to be fixed and I had to find my own replacement car. Which was hard cause I only have the 550.

Hi BERNDTY
I think your the bloke that I've been quoting to these mechs at Bay City.
I had heard that there was another one with this problem.
And your quite right I saved close to $8000 by buying elsewhere as well, and all because the salesman was to bloody lazy to move a couple of cars.

Bay City rang this morning to say that Nissan have now told them to replace the injectors. If nothing else I should have a new motor at this rate

Customer service? What customer service!

I hope it all works out for you mate and we all find out the source of the problem.
I know that when i bought my 550 earlier this year that Nissan were saying that if the Navara was off the road for more than 24 hours then they would supply you with a similiar loan car until yours was back on the road.
I will look up my old paperwork and see if i can find it in writing because as far as i am concerned you should have a free loan car whilst yours if off the road.

i can honestly say this is a crock.. my cars been at the same dealership i bought my ute from for 2 weeks and im driving around in a 14k micra instead of my 35k ute! Don't listen to them thieving bastards cause there is not many that will back there own word!

only thing with the insurance is he probably wouldn't get insurance as he and others have stated how to write it off in a PUBLIC FORUM. and the insurance companies do do a thorough investigation. he could possibly go for fraud .

do i believe you have a lemon, no. do i believe nissan have NFI ..........yes . i hope they can fix for you sooner than later.

Bay City rang this morning to say that Nissan have now told them to replace the injectors.

Back to the fault of all this. From what you have stated I think it will be unlikely that changing the injectors will rectify the problem. Think about it for a minute. The ECM just switches a solinoid on the injectors on and off on a duration and timing basis. As far as I know there is no feedback to the ECM from the injectors. If the injectors are crook the truck will have poor performance but that would be about it. I have not much idea on the cause itself but it will be odds on its something on the control side of things. Some sensor out of range or perhaps somthing like the EGR not functioning correctly, something that gives some sort of feedback to the ECM. Boost presure, fuel rail pressure, crankshaft speed sensor...?? the list will be long but I think there just having a guess and a very poor one at that.

Tappet's spot on, now for WHY - because the dealer is following Nissan's repair recipe.

Nissan provide their dealers with a step-by-step method of dealing with problems that occur, based on the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) found in the ECU. I don't know if there's a full service manual for the 550, but to get an idea what I'm talking about (if you're curious enough) download the D40 manual and open EC.PDF. This file is chock-full of DTCs and the means for the dealer's technician to repair the vehicle based on that information. Have a read, it will show you WHY.

They will eventually find the fault. They'll have spent thousands in the process, true, but for 95% of problems that enter the dealership, the manual is right first time. It's those few "other" problems that drag out and make us sideline commentators sit there and question the intelligence of the dealers.

Simple fact: if the dealer does NOT follow Nissan's recipe, Nissan stops paying for the parts and labour.

So Nissan have a set of instructions that deal with MOST of the issues. We don't see complaints about much of those because they happen and are fixed quickly - why complain about that? We see much more of the "5%" (not an accurate figure, just a representation) on internet forums because they aren't fixed quickly.

All that said, I hope they get to the bottom of yours sooner rather than later!

Thanks for the input guys.
Tony, your right in what you say, if the dealer dosn't do what Nissan Tech tell them they don't get paid and in this case the dealership have stated that they have no idea whats causing the problem and are following the Nissan Tech instructions.

Tappet, I understand what you say in regards to the injectors, however the precise instructions from Nissan where to remove the number six injector and inspect for external rust and report back. When the dealership rang me they said that they had just removed the injector and that it had a small amount of external rust and and they had been instructed to replace all six.

I'll be honest, I have NFI!

Consumer Affairs are in on the act now so I guess I'll just have to leave it to them.
I'll keep you all posted as to progress and out comes.

Again, thanks for the support and comments.

Mate have they suggested that the ecu may have a fault it's very rare to here anything of that nature i hope you get to the bottom of it i am going to upgrade to that model next year at this stage that's on hold and thanks for for your updates as sad as they are.

consumer affairs won't do anything...in theory its a good system but in reality it doesn't do much in the way of enforcing any of its legislation.

consumer affairs won't do anything...in theory its a good system but in reality it doesn't do much in the way of enforcing any of its legislation.
Agreed however the stronger you push the point with them the more they react given all the cowboys around and the fact they are understaffed makes for difficulty in lodging a claim.

Well it's now the 11th Oct and Bay City informed me yesterday that the vehicle should be ready to go on Monday.
Injectors must be a big job, eight days to change them!!

Ohh, and it hasn't been road tested so we may not be out of the woods yet.

I'll keep you posted.

Well Monday came and went and no call from Bay City.
Went round on Tuesday to check on progress only to be told the vehicle had faulted on the road test and was now worse than ever.
I was told by Wayne that Nissan were now looking at the ABS system.
I complained of the lack of communication and was assured that they (Bay City) would keep me informed.
I'll go round tomorrow and see how things are going. (Not holding my breath!)

Latest posts

Back