Had a bad run with an STX 550. Anyone like to comment?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow what idiots, I take it bay city knew about the tank? if so that would have been the 1st thing that should have been checked!! idiots... good to hear its back on the road though, now its time to kick ass at arb!!

bryan

The really bad/sad thing here is that Nissan and their representatives have taken a lot of shit for a problem that is in no way theirs. I agree that the first dealer probably should have started by taking a look at the aftermarket mods, but still, they can only do what their training tells them. There's probably nowhere in their manuals that tell them to check the inside of the fuel tank!

D40s get such a bad rep due to this kind of thing.

Woohoo congrats on finally getting the truck you ordered and paid so much for.
Now someone can correct me here but surely if there was crap in the lines and crushed lines then wouldnt the crap have appeared in the fuel components they removed and raised some alarms and even more so surely someone would have checked to see if there was enough fuel pressure and flow.
Just proves the point that unfortunately these days not many diagnose a problem just throw replacement parts at the symptoms .

Again damm good to hear its resolved.Hope you get to clock up many many miles on the beast and have a great time driving it all over the place .

The interesting thing is that Bay City replaced the filter (which stopped the crap from getting to the engine) and cut it open to show me all the foreign matter, and, and to demonstrate how much the fuel flow had been restricted . . . . . . . . . ???????

With the fuel lines, both the delivery line and the return line had been partially crushed up under the body. As the fuel tank is mounted to the chassis and is ridged, the body, on the other hand is rubber mounted and with the vehicle motion, was alternately completely blocking the delivery one moment and the return the next, hence the computer was one second recording fuel starvation and the next, fuel excess or choking. The computer thus recorded a series of conflicting error codes and shut the engine down, once the body motion stopped, it re-primed and would start up again.

Currently various remedies are being pursued and therefore it would be inappropriate for me to comment further at this stage. When all the dust has cleared I will let you all know the outcome.

So they knew there was crap coming into the system and still dint get the idea something might be wrong. Total tards thats all I can say about that
As to the crushed lines well in reality that in theory could have happened to anyone under the circumstances. the fact you got a tank full of crap and the crushed lines well that just shows whom ever installed the tank needs to look at their quality controls.

At the end of the day the solution has been found do hopefully the remedy will be in place soon and you get your beasty back

OK. Final outcome.
The company that fitted the fuel tank and in the process crushed the fuel lines, have put the matter to rights and to my satisfaction.
A good outcome.
Alas, my holidays are over and it'll probably be about two years before I can get that amount of time off again, still, I suppose the Birdsville track will still be there (Thats why I had a long range tank fitted).
Mmmmmm, now, what else can I fit to this beast . . . . . ?

Roof bars & tray. Sliders. Rear bar & tyre carriers. Canopy. Furry dice, 8-ball gear shift knobs, Maltese cross mirrors, shotgun holster ... you don't have a garage so I can't see what you have already so it's just a wild throw of ideas. Bar fridge with long, long extension lead ... barmaids on back seat ... what have you got so far?

Like your thinking Tony.
Currently have . . . Brown Davis long range tank, Old Man Emu HD suspention with airbags, alloy bull bar, spots, roof rack, side awning . . . .so far!
Needs new tyres soon . . . thinking of 285AT's. I do a small amount of 4x4 and a lot of towing. 2.5 tonne Roadstar caravan so the 4 WD comes in handy from time to time . . . .any suggestions ??
If I can figure out how to fit a pic you will see that I carry a WesternStar prime mover and semi trailer in the tub. (I kid you not).

Last edited:
Now that's a decent toy!

Toys.jpg

285s will increase your final drive ratio making it more difficult to take off although with the extra beans you have under the bonnet you might not mind that.

Extras you might want - roo whistles (not for the roos, they're so stupid they stick their heads out to look at the noise, but everything else runs). UHF radio and if going outback, consider a HF set or satphone (don't get Thuraya, the satellite is geostationary over Singapore so you need to see north-west horizon for a signal).

There's also onboard water storage, dual batteries, DVD headrests ...

Like your thinking Tony.
Currently have . . . Brown Davis long range tank, Old Man Emu HD suspention with airbags, alloy bull bar, spots, roof rack, side awning . . . .so far!
Needs new tyres soon . . . thinking of 285AT's. I do a small amount of 4x4 and a lot of towing. 2.5 tonne Roadstar caravan so the 4 WD comes in handy from time to time . . . .any suggestions ??
If I can figure out how to fit a pic you will see that I carry a WesternStar prime mover and semi trailer in the tub. (I kid you not).

Did i read previous its novated? Good luck getting anything bigger then 265s under lease agreement unless you pay for them yourself through a dodgy tyre place. I know this as i have a novated 550 with all the bells as yours and found that i could only get 265s mickey t atzs no tyre shop would sell me anything bigger. one even said if i paid cash myself they would inform the lease company of my breach of contract agreement :s
One more thing congratulations on getting her back and in working order
Enjoy

Did i read previous its novated? Good luck getting anything bigger then 265s under lease agreement unless you pay for them yourself through a dodgy tyre place. I know this as i have a novated 550 with all the bells as yours and found that i could only get 265s mickey t atzs no tyre shop would sell me anything bigger. one even said if i paid cash myself they would inform the lease company of my breach of contract agreement :s
Enjoy

why would you tell anyone how the car is being paid for??
how would they know unless you told them

yeah but if you are paying cash like you said then how would they know? you dont need approval to hand over cash.

Was the first place i went to. Was when i realised i couldnt go bigger through lease approval so obviously i said ill pay cash leave the lease company out of it...they got narky.

Well guys, a final update to this sordid story.
I did forget to mention that approx a month before the vehicle developed its first fault, I had a long range (140ltr) tank fitted by ARB in Hervey Bay. ( I also had Old Ma6n Emu suspention fitted with airbags).
Anyway it appears that the tank contained a large amount of welding slag/splatter and this clogged the pickup as well as this the fuel lines were routed across the top of the fuel tank and were partially crushed between the top of the tank and the bottom of the tub/tray thus starving the engine of fuel, especially on acceleration.

Ian Boetcher Motors of Ipswich, the dealership that sold me the vehicle, in conjunction with Nissan arranged for the vehicle to be transported to Ipswich and in less than two days had both diagnosed the fault and rectified it!
This cost me $1688.00, which I paid without hesitation.
This cost will, of course, be presented to ARB in Hervey Bay.

Ian Boettcher Motors also supplied a loan vehicle for the days that they had my vehicle.
The loan vehicle was a 2013 Navara ST with 19 kms on the clock. This is not the first time that Boettchers have assisted me. Is it any wonder that I have bought a number of vehicles from them and, although they may not be aware of it, so have a number of my friends.

For those of you that posted suggestions, please be assured, they were all considered and I learnt a lot, Thank you for the support, all of you.

I am not leaving the forum and will, from time to time contribute where I can, again, thanks.

PS The 550 is an awesome tow tug, I was getting worried that it may have had some inherent problem . . . . . it hasn't !!!

Wow thats the only car that seems to have had more problems than mine. I made the mistake of selling my d22 for my dream patrol.

I brought mine from ian boetchers and it seems as helpful as they were for you is as crap as theyve been for me. My patrol bas been broken from 400km. Many days in nissan and many phone calls to no success. Its gone into limp mode 47 times in 20000km. Nissan wont fix it saying its just a glitch amd it will come good.

Good to hear your problems all sorted.

Enjoy

I've got 265's on mine too - lease company weren't too happy, said it had to have a 50mm lift before they would approve the bigger tyres (this was already done). They won't allow any bigger than that.

Latest posts

Back