Hand Brake Light Coming On

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bright Spark

Reaction score
does anyone know anything about a d40 that the park brake signal comes on when i put the foot down... is there some reason for this???

The manual is (not surprisingly) rather light on info about the park brake switch, but it's adjustable and located on the left side of the lever. You have to remove the centre console to get to it.

I'd look at adjusting that, unless the vehicle is still under warranty - in which case I'd be asking the service manager why it's playing up.

I don't think there'd be any special logic (like there is for the gearbox) involved. It's a very simple item and it makes no sense for the ECU to be making decisions about the park brake state. It ought to be an adjustment thing.

If you're stopped (engine idling) and the handbrake is completely off, how much can you lift the handbrake lever before the light comes on? If it's just a light touch and it's already on, it's definitely an adjustment thing. You should be able to lift the lever a good few mm before it comes on. The manual specifies "1 notch" before the switch engages, and "9-10 notches" before the handbrake holds the vehicle.

check your brake fluid level first

Its his hand brake light Tweak not his brake light mate.
sounds like the cable may need adjustig to take the slack up so the lever doesn't lift and activate the switch.My 22 did this but because the weld had broken where it comes up through the floor or it could smply be an electrical fault

Its activated by a single wire connected to a switch on the side of the hand brake mechanism. It could be its come loose and is touching earth or a piece of metal is rolling back when you accelerate and earthing the connection.
Or
Somewhere in the wiring loom the insulation has rubbed through on the cable and its earthing out on the body

yea it seems to be when i get around 3500rpm... it just seemed odd that it would do it,i mean theres not a great deal of force pushing things back if im in 4th or 5th doing that many revs.. cheers fullas ill give that a try..

Back