HD Springs, air bags or better shocks

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nooooooooooooo!!!!

DON'T USE SAX SUSPENSION. Whatever you do. If you want to use them save your money and go to Bunnings and buy a length of hardwood and jam it between your chassis and diff housing. It will give you the same result. Search the forum for their product reviews. Talk to Zordo mate and save yourself a headache.

Wonder if you were going to get in on this

I actually went out and bought some and couldnt be happier, feels alot less dangerous then it did before and i dont think i will ever have the ute unloaded at all either. There is no spring on the market that comes close to having the carrying capabilities that i require with out been custom made to suit, meaning 12 or so leafs and that means a horrible ride.. im really happy with these

Do want a set of their shocks to go with them. I have a full set brand new. $350 for 4. They replaced a set that were to stiff and I didn't use them. Good spare set.

I have always said that the product is a good idea. But when they use their customers for product development and sell you reworked products it gets to piss you off a bit. My springs weren't even new, they had been repainted black over the red and had leafs removed that left bear metal showing. So they were painted black first then had the leafs removed, so how many times had they been returned before I got them. For the amount of money I spent with them you think they would say we got it wrong here's a new set for your trouble. You see their ads in 4x4 mags and they look top notch. Mine didn't look like that when they turned up to my place. "Come on SAX, show some good will and replace them". I wish I was posting great comments about their product like I have the people that have been great to deal with. Like Zordo, Paul from YD25 etc. anyway I hope you truly are happy with what you got and it works for you. Maybe they fixed the problems.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Interesting to hear all that Navmania.... I watched them actually make my springs, build them literally so there was no chance for any bullshit for the whopping $1390. I was getting desperate and took a leap of faith and have been quiet happy so far. I dont think the shocks are coping tho. I actually think my front left shock is blown, it wanders all over the place and is a fight to keep on the road... I will PM about shocks, im keen.

Glad you are happy. Mine are better now I have a heap of weight in the back. But still not happy with the fact they weren't new. Yeah the shocks are here. They are fully rebuildable and look well built. I was happy with that just not the valving so I sent the first lot back an by the time I got the second set back I had already fitted the ranchos.

Cheers.

Lovells springs would be what I would use. They are just on another level compared to all of the cheap stuff available these days.

The shocks have no bearing on the ride height of the system. Only control of the spring.

The airbags arent a bad choice either. Its only being stupid with them that causes problems.
Having them pumped right up with no load and going over serious bumps can give issues.

Using them to help the spring carry weight is what they are designed to do without any adverse effect on the chasis.

I looked at Lovells, they use the conventional spring design which would mean I would have about 8+2 leaves in there, he said to go airbags however I almost refused strictly on horror stories haha. Ride height is strictly spring or torsion bar, however the valving in the shocks are what contains the bounce and maintains rubber on the road, as i understand. I do believe and have been told that heavier valved shocks will be mandatory for my ute as the increased weight and heavier duty springs will need more to control them. Something along the lines of that :)

^^ yep , you would definitely be needing the motherf'ucker of all shocks on the back of that thing with the super-duper springs and massive loads.

Should i be going for the shocks that are apparently built for the springs by Sax?? I have heard not so good things about them..

Someone suggested I would need to engineer twin mount to fit twin bilsteins to the rear.. He said that even the heavier valved 70 series shocks from bilstein would wear out fairly quickly if i plan on cape trips and off the beaten track touring. I think the front shocks will be fine with just stock bilsteins as there is not alot of weight just bar and winch and some lights etc

Pedders make a pretty good h/d rear shock. I don't know if they still make them, but I had a pair of the foam cell ones, they are very big, and very powerful, probably TOO powerful. NEVER ran out of damping with my constant load springs no matter how ridiculously I overloaded the tray. They are still like brand new after maybe 80k of rough treatment. The front were pretty good too, and are still usable, but they aren't brand new anymore.

Sax shocks are rebranded lovells. They have the same valving etc. Sax will tell you otherwise

I like my Ranchos. I have the In cab adjuster kit so I can change them to suit the road and the load I am carrying on the fly. I modified my system tho so it runs off regulated air from a tank.

Trailers are a pain in the arse for me, dead weight behind me, shit to park and i usually work in hard to access sites and what not, the fuel econ goes down and when you travel 1200+km a week it all adds up. I am using my ute for more than off the shelf bits can help me which is no drama, a poor man buys twice hence all the questions and research

Latest posts

Back