Hello, new guy on the block

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reaper350

Reaction score
Hi Guys, just bought d40 08 stx plenty of extras. Really happy with the ride. Not to sure about the brakes? lots of travel very spongy. Rang nissan, they said they might change the rotors under warranty. Doesn't seemed to be rotors to me. Any ideas.
Cheers

Welcome to the forum!

My pedal's not firm but I happen to like my brakes like that. There's no lack of control with my brakes though - if I press the pedal there's no issue with the brakes coming on.

Brakes are spongy for a few different reasons. It could be crappy brake pads, expanding brake lines or contaminated brake fluid. With a 2008 model, unless someone damaged the brake hoses, I'd suspect either fluid contamination (a good chance) or crap pads.

Welcome to the forums

My Nav is only a few months older than Tony's and like him I haven't noticed any issues with braking. I'm quite used to air brakes in trucks so anything in a road vehicle is a positive step really and as long as they stop me before whatever I'm stopping for does I think they are fine.

I did my service the other day and while I didn't expect any problems I gave them a complete once over (which is probably more than a dealer does when only a check is required), mine aren't spongy, are not suffering any more wear than I would expect for the ks done and have all operating parts operating so I'm happy with mine.

Thanks for the reply, the car goes into nissan tomorrow for the recall, ill be interested what they have to say about the brakes. I will keep you posted.
Cheers Glenn

Welcome matey, brakes differ from vehicle to vehicle because of different driving styles. I tow a 1.5T van so the front disks get a decent workout and will need to be replaced with Bendix 4WD pads in the near future (i am sick of the current pad dust). Rotors are fine but will look at replacing them also for safety's sake and she's only done 35K (Continentals are rooted already).

As you are new to the forum let me be the first to warn you about the D22 owners that solicit themselves around these threads. They're a nasty bunch. Just ignore them and they'll go away.

Post some specs on the vehicle e.g. auto/manual, oil burner/petrol, tyres etc

As you are new to the forum let me be the first to warn you about the D22 owners that solicit themselves around these threads. They're a nasty bunch. Just ignore them and they'll go away.

Those guys are a different form of spongy, but the warning was justified merchant. :big_smile:

Those guys are a different form of spongy, but the warning was justified merchant. :big_smile:

I resemble... I mean resent those comments!!
I'm hurt guys....... sniff, sniff:sad:
Welcome reaper. Don't listen to them idiots. What would they know anyway? They bought themselves a D40 for goodness sake. nuff said
:devil:

I bought a D40 after a fair bit of research, thats why a purchased - 08, petrol, auto. I have a 5.3m boat and i needed something with a bit of pulling power. Research told me the 2.5 D are prone to blow up and the manual gear boxes are not up to scratch.
Sounds like there are a few issues between D40/D22s.

Lemons appear in all types of vehicles, no make or model is immune. Many problems come down to how the vehicle is treated as much as manufacturer faults. At the end of the day if you've done your research and come to a conclusion that suits you then that's all the matters really.

Research told me the 2.5 D are prone to blow up and the manual gear boxes are not up to scratch.

The series 3 engine is quite a strong beast, driven properly it should last a long time.

There is generally a light banter between the owners of the two different models. We're generally not quite as harsh as you see here. It's all good-natured and friendly. There's no real animosity between owners. Might be a bit aimed at Nissan or door-banging dickheads in shopping centres or lame wanks that slit tonneau covers.

Go on a run with a group of us one day. We recently went to Polblue and there were a mix of D40s and D22s - we didn't really care. We're all friends here.

I wouldn't say the YD25 has a tendency to blow up.

Early common rail D40's had injector problem thats pretty much it, but so did every other ute on the market.

D40 manual gearboxes are strong, its the clutch that use to fail.

Dave.

Brakes

I took the D40 to nissan for the recall + brakes. They checked the rotors and said that they were fine. They suggested that the hand brake could do with a adjustment. I declined and took it to my mech. He did the adjustment , replaced the brake fluid and adjusted the travel on the brake pedal.
Problem solved. Now i have a great ute with good brakes ( happy man )

I bought a D40 after a fair bit of research, thats why a purchased - 08, petrol, auto. I have a 5.3m boat and i needed something with a bit of pulling power. Research told me the 2.5 D are prone to blow up and the manual gear boxes are not up to scratch.

the only issues between d40 and the d22 is that the d40 doesent look anywhere near as good as the d22. lol welcome to the forum.

Geez with the number of times the D40 has been referred to as a gay car you'd reckon it was the D40 drivers who cared about how much better they look not the D22 drivers. Still I think you've got a very pretty ute there fonzy, more power to you sister :big_smile:

Geez with the number of times the D40 has been referred to as a gay car you'd reckon it was the D40 drivers who cared about how much better they look not the D22 drivers. ................. :big_smile:

Yeah youd think so but I guess all the hairdryers and curling wands carried in D40 consoles tell a different story huh?:sarcastic:

Latest posts

Back