Help!!! . Front struts knocking

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoY

Reaction score
Hi everyone. As title says I have a knock coming from from struts. I just lifted my d40 with a zordo bilstein lift and its awesome. After a few weeks I noticed a knock coming from the front. So I took struts out and found that the strut top centre hole (for shocker) has elongated. So I'm guessing because the stress of the spring (hd coils) was so high it rubbed out the strut top as the shocker was on a slight slant??? Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a solution.

Please help knock is driving me mad.

Maybe I'll need to buy new strut tops and try again????

Cheers

I installed my Bilstein lift myself and had a similar thing happen. Took it to my local mechanic and he replaced the strut top plate - been fine ever since. I also had the height adjustment clips put back to the bottom setting on both sides. I think it all cost under $300 so just refitting a coil and the part on one side should be considerably cheaper.

I'm pretty sure your problem is caused when the coil is compressed on the shock. If it was all slightly off centre then it will eventually wear it out. If you did it yourself you'll have noticed how much force is required!!

If you had it fitted by a mechanic I'd be letting them know they're responsible for the damage.

Watching with interest , when exactly is it knocking ? Upward travel ? , it could be hitting the UCA , look at the underside of the upper control arm for telltales , I would be interested to see what you eventually find as iam ordering bilsteins next week

D40s & Prados suffer from this problem
You have to be careful when assembling that the struts are centred in the top hat
The Std nissan bush is not very good & allows the shaft to move about
Get some new tophats & some new larger bushes so the shaft can not move.
Bilstein should supply new bushes but they don't.
If you can not get new bushes i can supply some for you.
Cheers

D40s & Prados suffer from this problem
You have to be careful when assembling that the struts are centred in the top hat
The Std nissan bush is not very good & allows the shaft to move about
Get some new tophats & some new larger bushes so the shaft can not move.
Bilstein should supply new bushes but they don't.
If you can not get new bushes i can supply some for you.
Cheers

John that would be awesome mate. Do u have any strut hats also? Looking at getting these ASAP so let me know. I'll do both sides just in case.

Cheers

John that would be awesome mate. Do u have any strut hats also? Looking at getting these ASAP so let me know. I'll do both sides just in case.

Cheers

Sorry i don't have tophats. I can supply some Lovells bushes which are bigger & will stop the shaft from moving around
Cheers

Sorry i don't have tophats. I can supply some Lovells bushes which are bigger & will stop the shaft from moving around
Cheers

Great. I'll send u a text and well get it kicked off. By bigger do u mean outside diameter? Inside shouldn't change so sleeve can fit snug if I'm correct? What would I be looking at for delivery and everything?

Front strut knocking

Hi JoY,

How ya going? Just wondering how the Lovell bushes went? The reason I ask is that while changing my front brake pads recently I noticed that my top strut plates where worn and I was thinking about maybe putting these larger bushes in when I change the plates in the hope of saving me less grief down the track. I've found replacement plates on ebay from a place in Sydney and I'm looking at replacing this late next week. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

Back