Help; problem after EGR mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beergutz, it's why we're here. To help and be helped.

And to organise get togethers, drives, meets, fixits, drinking days, drives, drinksh, fikshits, have anudder beer, wasn't that fun!

You'd think an overboost would be recorded in the ECU, and perhaps even the conditions that existed at the time of the overboost. Yes, I'm thinking 'black box' here but with the amount of memory you can shove into small devices these days, why the hell not?

At least that way you can take it back to Nissan and they can see throttle=100% front wheels @ 25km/h rear wheels @ 140km/h and sorta have an idea why. :big_smile:

Beergutz,

That's the one; exactly the same result as what occurred on mine. Thanks for posting that up; you've really saved my sanity. Since it happened I've been wondering, 'Did I just overlook the engine light, despite checking for it?'

I decided to roll back the mod for now; fortunate as I was climbing a steep, rocky hill today (still using the Conti's) and it was a challenge from start to finish. Suddenly ending up in limp home
half way up would have been....inconvenient to say the least. :)

Thanks for the replies Tony and tweak'e; very informative indeed and greatly appreciated. Pity we don't have reputational scoring on the board.... :)

lol, another forum im on has this reputational scoring on it, basically when you see someone with a great post you can give them a +1 or if its just insanity a -1. but its a fairly large site with allot of members, on this site you dont really have to be on it for too long to work out who knows there stuff and who doesnt

well it is the internet after all, where would we be without keyboard warriors, pointless rants and tips that send us chasing our tails. i spose thats the joy of trying to do everything yourself, sometimes its not as simple as it sounds

Does this mod really reduce the smoke??!?
I followed my truck home the other day after getting it back from the panel shop.
Im sure I have Patty & Selma hanging out the back of my rig its that smokey (black) and I have blocked off the EGR.

Does this mod really reduce the smoke??!?
I followed my truck home the other day after getting it back from the panel shop.
Im sure I have Patty & Selma hanging out the back of my rig its that smokey (black) and I have blocked off the EGR.

Are you running a chip or have you changed your air/fuel filter recently?

Black smoke is generally fuel related if it's blowing a lot I'd say over fueling from a chip being turned up to high or from a dirty air or fuel filter.
Blanking the EGR will reduce smoke from unburnt soot coming out exhaust but mainly it's the puff you get between gear changes that it gets rid off in a manual.
Or maybe a dirty MAF sensor.

Last edited:
Either that or they're good at throwing up the BS

Here he goes, letting the cat out of the bag on me. Sheesh!:big_smile:

+1 on the dirty MAF sensor, exuberant chip or dirty air filter. Not sure that a blockage in the fuel pump/filter would cause that unless the blockage caused the ECU to over-pressure the rail.

Which also makes me think it could either be an under-reading fuel rail pressure sensor. Unlikely that it would be a blockage in the fuel return line (that sends excess fuel back to the fuel tank).

old tony
I do a lot of suction control vavles (on the side of the high pressure pump) for limp mode
and for code p1272 frp valve ( in think that is the code) If you record it say at 100 klph you rail pressure is @ 100 mpa but when they drop there guts the fuel rail pressure will drop to around 30 - 50 mpa considering fuel rail pressure is 32 mpa at idel.
Also seeing a lot of d40s air boxs getin water in them pulling the water fru the air cleaner or tearing a hole in them and when this water its the maf they iver go into limp / and put the dpf light on or the maf simply exsplodes which is a little diffrent but when the maf exsplodes the nav just stops just a few quick suugestions if some body needs a screen shot of the suction control valve let me no

blocking egr does reduce smoke but a lot of that is over shadowed by the belching smoke caused by your guys crap fuel.
navaras require minimum of 50 cetane, i think AU standard is 43 (or 45) so its under spec to start with.

we have the exact same vehicles over here but they don't blow smoke. the only difference is the fuel.

Latest posts

Back