help: tyres 265/70/16 muddies i am at a loss

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have265/70/r16 at's on now and i cant find anyone who does that size in a mud terrian except hankook and their load rating is too low for my 2001 d22 so it isnt legal, and im told the 265/75/r16 is over the legal limit.
i need advice can i go to 31/10.5/15 or will the 15 inch rims not fit over the brake calipers? or will they not be compliant with the load ratings??

has anyone got the 245/75/16 and are they just cheesecutters or do they get traction i do a lot of mud and beach work so traction and float is a must for me ??

ps i know there are other threads on this , i have read them but some are from 4 years ago and the laws have changed and some tyres have gone out of production, and i dont feel like my questions were answered.

really appreciate any help
dave

i had 245 maxxis bighorns on mine when i bought it, had heaps more grunt but reved more and speedo was WAY out, a mate has the 31/10.5/15's bighorns on his 2006 d22 but had to get a heaps negative offset so it didnt hit the calliper, the tires are a little bit outside the wheel flares but looks tough as

He said he didn't want them as they are illegal in qld. I personally would be looking at the 245 size.

no he says "and im told the 265/75/r16 is over the legal limit." Nothing about not wanting them, either way 265/70 to 265/75 is only a 5% increase in width there's nothing illegal about that.....

no he says "and im told the 265/75/r16 is over the legal limit." Nothing about not wanting them, either way 265/70 to 265/75 is only a 5% increase in width there's nothing illegal about that.....

That is diameter not width. The width is 265, the diameter is the 70/75. It is illegal in Queensland to go to 265/75/16 due to the larger diameter being more then the allowed 13?mm. It's either 12 or 13mm increase in qld before illegal.

yeah mate thanks in qld apparently the maximum is a 15mm raise overall and i dont want to go illegal but thanks all the same

i had 245 maxxis bighorns on mine when i bought it, had heaps more grunt but reved more and speedo was WAY out, a mate has the 31/10.5/15's bighorns on his 2006 d22 but had to get a heaps negative offset so it didnt hit the calliper, the tires are a little bit outside the wheel flares but looks tough as

thanks mate appreciate the feedback , im starting to think ill go down the 245 track ,but if i can get the 31/10.5/15 that would work nicely too , can you find out what kind of negative offset he had to get ?

cheers
dave

From what I know you can't "legally" fit a smaller rim than the factory fitted size. So if that is correct 15" rims would be illegal.

Legally yes you can.

Daveychipsngravy, Do yourself a favour and read this booklet:

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/c...8b20842f/pdf_modification_motor_vehicles2.pdf

In particular about page 17 and 18, page numbers on bottom of pages.

Hey mate thanks for that I had a read of it before that's where I got the info about the 15mm maximum. But I missed this bit
"The nominal width of the narrowest tyre fitted to a vehicle must not be less than 70 per cent of the nominal width of the largest tyre fitted and never less than the vehicle manufacturer’s narrowest optional tyre as indicated on the manufacturer’s tyre placard."

So that means the 245/75/16 is illegal too because the narrowest optional tyre on my placard is the 255/70/16. So there is literally no possible way of getting a mud tyre for my car that is legal????

Latest posts

Back