hema gps thoughts

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes mate. it shows where you are on the map. handy if you are looking for the next turn but still not worth the $900 i paid for mine.. i know the price has come down a bit. But if you can buy the hema maps from any map shop for under $200 and a street navigator for the same $400 total. Makes you wonder why they think its worth the extra $500. I would buy the maps and try to figure out how to run them with gps software on an iphone or pad if i were doing it again....

Thanks for the information. Makes decisions easier.

The "cheap" GPS I paid over $300 a few years ago is worthless now. You could probably buy something similar brand new, but better, now for under $100 so yeah it is probably not worth spending big bucks on an "off road" GPS.

Now if these things came with lifetime off road map updates.....

Thanks for the information. Makes decisions easier.

The "cheap" GPS I paid over $300 a few years ago is worthless now. You could probably buy something similar brand new, but better, now for under $100 so yeah it is probably not worth spending big bucks on an "off road" GPS.

Now if these things came with lifetime off road map updates.....

I can't justify spending that kind of money ether. I have a s90i that is out of date with the maps so I'm hoping that I can download hens maps or even oziexplore! Is this possible?:confused3:

I can't justify spending that kind of money ether. I have a s90i that is out of date with the maps so I'm hoping that I can download hens maps or even oziexplore! Is this possible?:confused3:

Looks like nobody knows. Did you find the answer?

I am leaning towards a Garmin with lifetime street nagigation map updates. It seems that last year JB was offering free Topo maps with at least one of the units but I don't know whether it was one of the units that came with lifetime street navigation map updates.

You can also install "Shonky Maps" on some of the Garmin units as well.

No hurry but will keep an eye out.

With Shonkymaps.... make sure u install then on the SD card and not the unit itself.That way if u ever have any problems with your Garmin they will still honour their warranty (ie They don't like Shonky)

City-Nav LifeTime updates usually happen around 4 times a year & AusTopo is usually every 2yrs & u have to buy the new version

I am leaning towards a Garmin with lifetime street nagigation map updates. It seems that last year JB was offering free Topo maps with at least one of the units but I don't know whether it was one of the units that came with lifetime street navigation map updates.

go with the garmin if you get the free lifetime street maps...(thats the auto units)
also,
you get free software update all the time......just plug into your pc every now and then.

Got a S90i too and never again....the unit is ok...but the aftersale service is shit...NON EXSISTANT:rambo: Bastards..

Garmin are fantastic....

2nd the garmin.. with free updates.. I saw hema at one of the shows and they told me they would upgrade my unit.. i thought great untill he said $220 at the end of his speil... I said lucky for you the hema is small so it wont hurt as mutch when i stick it up your a@#$ and walked off....

Thank guys an girls for ur opinions I'm leaning towords the garmin too but il keep a look out an see wat happens

Has anyone used the Hema Iphone App? Just wondering if there are any thoughts on the program?

Joe i got my garmin nuvi 1490, With free topo maps on card and i got the free street map upgrades. Got it at JB hi fi

Dave, I have my eye on the Garmin 3590 but by the time you get off road maps it is probably around the same price as the VMS 700hd. At least with the Garmin you get lifetime street maps.

Birthday not for a couple of months so a bit of time to decide. She wants an IPhone so I have to make mine worth while :wink:

What do ppl think of paying under $600 for a hema? Also what dose it cost to upgrade maps on this unit?

Just bought the Hema HN5i for a touch under $530.00.

Bought from Rays Outdoors on line. This weekend they have 26.5% discount for VIP members (or 20% for non members but just sign up on line to become a member) & an additional 10% off for auto club members.

There are charges for post and a handling charge for store pick up, unless you go to the "Mobile site" at the bottom of the main page. If ordered from the "Mobile site", there is no charge for store pick up.

The only good thing about being indecisive & procrastination is that bargains sometimes come up.

Last edited:
Apparently the Hema HN6 has just came and apparently it fixes a few issues that people had like the screen resolution. The sales rep said u can now zoom in a lot closer w/o the image becoming pixelated... so he said

Price is around $700 still though

Joe do u think its worth that type of money? How do u get the auto club member card

I really have no idea if it is worth that money & maybe I wasted mine, but it is a lot cheaper than the RRP. A few years ago I think they were around the $900 mark. I have not seen that particular unit currently at anywhere near that price. No doubt in years to come, if we are still using GPS units, they will be much more advanced and much cheaper.

I am largely a techno nuf nuf so my preference was for a GPS unit that had street & off road maps already installed however thought that all but the generic units were too expensive. Some people buy an Aldi GPS & install off road maps & get away with what they need for 2 or 3 hundred dollars, maybe less. I did intend to get a Garmin unit & install off road maps but the Hema unit ended up being cheaper than the way I intended to go.

If you have RACV roadside assistance membership or the interstate equivalent, you can use your membership number to get an additional 10% discount.

P.S I have a sneaking suspicion that the HN5i will either be updated or deleted before long because it could not possibly continue to be sold alongside the HN6 with both units having the same price IMO.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back