Hi there, info on shimming lsd

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROD085

Reaction score
hi im a newbie,

i have a 2011 D40 ST and the rear lsd seems non exsistent.
is it possible to get it shimmed??

cheers Rod.

What performance are you expecting from your LSD, and what are you getting?

It can be shimmed, may be difficult to get it done cheaply unless you DIY it, and shimming will increase wear on the plates and chirping in carparks etc.

i dont really have to much expextations. at the moment though it spins a single in the wet, and as soon as it lifts a wheel there is nothing.
I thought i would suss out trying to shim it up before going to something like a locker.

i dont really have to much expextations. at the moment though it spins a single in the wet, and as soon as it lifts a wheel there is nothing.
I thought i would suss out trying to shim it up before going to something like a locker.

Fair enough, just thought I would check. Maybe ring a few diff places near you to get some quotes, as there's not much info on the topic on here.

From the brief inspection I've had, it doesn't look like it can be shimmed easily. Dana Trak- locks are probably the weakest LSD's available, Nissan only regards a D40 as a softroader so fitted the diff accordingly.

Yeah just saw that
Only reason I asked is I got caught out with mine as the 4x2 ST-X comes with an open center diff and the way he has described his is exactly what mine does.
I would suggest that if its that bad I would go warranty.
If you jack up one rear wheel you shouldnt be able to turn it with the other on the ground and it in gear.If you can then it sounds more like the clutch plates have collapsed.If you jack up the rear end with it in gear and you spin one wheel the other should turn the same direction.

Back