high flow or upgrade turbo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyNav09

Reaction score
Alright for the mechanically minded people.

Recent discussions with my mechanic who has built many cars from ground up and the recent being a 4.2 gu patrol which goes like a cut snake has asked me whether I had thought about turbo upgrade or high flowing the turbo. Simple answer was NO not really. I know a turbo upgrade is a complete new turbo etc etc etc. What are the advantages of just high flowing the factory unit? Maybe even open up the port aswell?

Let me know whether it's worth it as if highflowing is any good it may be worth it cause it retains the factory everything and has less bits to go wrong.

Rusty

Complete turbo upgrade will allow you to customize boost lag and allow you to play with EGT temps alot more also possible to lower running temps, But costly.

I personally haven't looked into this but down the track maybe...

Theres been one or two people that have done it but they didn't say whether there was much of an increase in power. I think it was $1200 which is about what a garret costs.

Last edited:
I was unsure of any real improvements. I have heard a lot of top end power but lagging in the low down area. I would rather see good low down improvement and having it boost right through the rev range

My truck goes Ito mike vines in about a month to get a turbo upgrade. The dyno sheets I've seen have me estimating that I'll be tripling (x3) the factory torque values, at the wheels. The ZD30 specs give a value of 310nm, my estimations based off dyno sheets I've seen for what I want done, have me estimating I should see around 900-1000 nm of torque.

I had two options with my truck, a bulletproof upgrade, or a VNT upgrade.

The bullet proof upgrade, basically replaces the compressor wheel with a billet wheel and a reconditioning of your turbo unit. You get a gain in power and low down torque.

The VNT upgrade replaces the entire turbo unit with a, drumroll please, Variable Nozzle Turbo unit. My understanding is that VNT's work by varying the psi by use of a nozzle, in accordance with demand, giving the best torque through the entire rev range. In short, it'll go like a friggin' rocket. And (according to mike vine) i should be able to hit full boost at 1000rpm earlier than i do now.

Any upgrade is a good upgrade, just talk to the experts about your options

IMO based on my past experiences not fourbys but jap turbo cars
It is better off to spend the $$$ with new turbo - as gunning1987 already mentioned
you have more avenues to get the power you wanted. High Flowing your existing turbo will be pushing its limits. Also, as long as you can afford the supporting parts then you are in the right track.

Just email munro racing, waiting for reply regarding the types of comp wheels both inlet/exhaust, what is the efficiency range and importantly how much.

Will let you know ehn/if i get a reply.

Im not sure how it would be pushing the limits of the original turbo.... as your basically putting in a larger compressor wheel unit basically making it a larger turbo. IMO a high flow if done right should S%^t all over the original as its a small EGR turbo and alot less hassle.

bolt on vs custom manifold?

Just got an email back unfortunately he doesn't do custom high flows as the demand was too high, he couldn't keep up. Its understandable as i think he was charging only 800-1000 for a complete high flow. So he is now organizing a range of custom high flow exchange turbos, these may suit the Navara ht12-19b/d turbos, however it is still in production.

maybe a whole new turbo would be better at this stage :/

add: just recieved another email saying that this turbo is one which he plans to make a high flow exchange- good news.
however when this happens is another story

Just got an email back unfortunately he doesn't do custom high flows as the demand was too high, he couldn't keep up. Its understandable as i think he was charging only 800-1000 for a complete high flow. So he is now organizing a range of custom high flow exchange turbos, these may suit the Navara ht12-19b/d turbos, however it is still in production.

maybe a whole new turbo would be better at this stage :/

Have you thought about a ball bearing turbo? meant to spool up heaps quicker and be safer then journal bearing turbos.

I think I was aiming highflow as it was a direct replacement instead of messing with other lines etc. I might keep in touch with munro and see how he is going with the exchange thing.

Rusty

Been doing some thinking...
putting another turbo on may be simpler than i thought, my old man can make an adapter to change the triangular 3 bolt to a square 4 bolt so it can be made to fit turbos like T25, t28 and probably 500 more....

im far far from a turbo expert and i would really like to know what turbo would suit the zd30....

has anyone got th inlet/exhaust wheel dimensions on the hitachi ht12 or the flow rate...
is a T25 even a step up in size or is it on par to th hitachi?

i want a new turbo as its the weak point and the reason for EGT rise
im making to much boost (19psi) from chip/exhust/water meth and the turbo just goes out of efficiency. 19psi is with the boost controller set on the lowest setting, just need a fit more fow and less inlet heat... not making the most of water met when my inlet it to hot.

Last edited:
1000nm????:confused3:

...of torque. At the rear wheels. That is by anyone's standards, a load of torque. Mike vine's website has some dyno sheets of a zd30 navara running the VNT. And it's up around the 900+Nm of torque. Add to that, the chip, EGR mod, 80series airbox and snorkel, I should hopefully smash past that.

1000nm of torgue at the wheels vs at the flywheel is different, 317nm flywheel stock... i would be making close to 450nm (flywheel) with my mods.
compare apples to apples...it seems like a bi of a marketing stratergy

We have just finished testing on my nav of the new high flow ht12 turbo forefront industries has made

He owns a d22 and does product development and manufacturing so along with the intake pipe for zd30 also made the high flow turbo

My d22 pulled 101kw and 412nm of torque

Before the high flow it got 96kw and only 350nm torque

The biggest difference was driving ! Was a lag monster before now i get 15 psi at least 500rpm sooner then before! Drives much nicer now

Back