Hit a gutter really hard..

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJMNAV

Reaction score
Hi All

I ended up hitting a gutter really hard the other night to the point of smashing the left wheel and bending the steering knuckle etc. Ended up getting new idler arm, drag link, left ball joints and hub etc. I got it all aligned and came up really well, drives true and straight now however it seems to be really unbalanced and unpredictable on the road when it comes to uneven roads and bumps

Eg: Driving along and the road would camber heavily towards the gutter and then a street on the left would come up and the road would sort of whoop up and back down again and it feels like the car is about to lift off into space and when it comes back down it goes all over the road etc.

It seems to be really bad on the left more so than the right which leads me to believe the internals of the left shock are buggered?? I can not see any oil or anything coming out tho. The left side is sitting slightly lower than the right aswell. Shocks and TB's are TJM XGS Gold and are about 30k old.

HELP!

Hmm I was just searching through the forum before I posted and thought that this could be an option. Would that cause the wallowing thing im experiencing tho? I would have thought that it would completely strip out pretty quickly and the car would drop completely on that side

Hmm, yeah that is what im thinking. I have PMd our suspension expert so i shall await a reply :)

Iv stripped one of the tortions before and yes, you will drop on that side dramatically, i would say check your shocks as you may have bent one.

Went back to the mob I got all the work done and had a big chat to him.. Its booked in for Wednesday next :)

He is going to have a look at the tie rod on to the hub as he believes it could be slightly bent but he said it wouldnt cause the wallowing effect however it would change the toe as the vehicle articulates.. I do 250km + a day, mostly highway so I get a good run at feeling what the car is like and on the highway and city driving today it definitely feels as though the shockie is buggered, which confirms my prediction.

Good thread to follow for anyone who hits kerbs (touch wood) or even has a failed shock after hitting pot holes or ruts on and off the road. Thanks for you input guys, great community!

Back