how did you get your cross country i/cooler to seal?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicszd30

Reaction score
Howdy all, I am wondering what others have done to get these kits to seal to the bonnet ?

Some thing has to be done to these pricks at cross country- you cant sell these coolers as kits for $1600 and have no way of getting them to seal! What they suggest is an absolute joke and if I had of known I would have never have purchased this "weighty" p.o.shite..

cheers vic

What have you got at the moment to seal it? Any pics? I don't know if you've seen the d22 yd25 stock intercooler setup closely, but it has a big rubber membrane under the scoop to seal it to the intercooler. Maybe clark rubber has some decently thick door or boot seal rubber you could use?

What have you got at the moment to seal it? Any pics? I don't know if you've seen the d22 yd25 stock intercooler setup closely, but it has a big rubber membrane under the scoop to seal it to the intercooler. Maybe clark rubber has some decently thick door or boot seal rubber you could use?

It's worth a try- but the problem is what do I adhere the rubber to? It cant go directly onto the bonnet underlay/insulation ! it will eventually rip/pull it off!
it's a major pain in the arse let me tell you!

You may be able to make up a frame for the outside and bolt or rivet it into the support ribs on the underside of the bonnet, but without any pics it's just a guessing game as to what you've got to work with... alternatively, you may be able to make up a frame with a seal on it that is attached to the intercooler itself and seals onto the bonnet...

You would think they would design a seal that attaches to the bottom of the scoop... but i guess that would make it too easy wouldn't it......

You may be able to make up a frame for the outside and bolt or rivet it into the support ribs on the underside of the bonnet, but without any pics it's just a guessing game as to what you've got to work with... alternatively, you may be able to make up a frame with a seal on it that is attached to the intercooler itself and seals onto the bonnet...

You would think they would design a seal that attaches to the bottom of the scoop... but i guess that would make it too easy wouldn't it......

yes yes yes photos photos photos I know i know I know ;) on the way capt'!

Whatever rubber you use make sure it's Neoprene, that's the one resistant to petrol and oil. Anything else will fall apart like an old franger.

Whatever rubber you use make sure it's Neoprene, that's the one resistant to petrol and oil. Anything else will fall apart like an old franger.

thanks, good to know! your up early man? And what a shite day it is here in Vic today...

It's worth a try- but the problem is what do I adhere the rubber to? It cant go directly onto the bonnet underlay/insulation ! it will eventually rip/pull it off!
it's a major pain in the arse let me tell you!

I,Ve left my insulation underlay off the bonnet, so the self adhesive foam they supply in the kit has stuck kinda ok

Here's mine, you can see where the foam rubs on the cooler

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 87
Can also see I,Ve left the under bonnet insulation off, would of preferred to leave it on, and I might try sika flexing it back on, as I had my diesel freeze up a couple of months go, and I,m wondering if it was worse because of the lack of insulation

Can also see I,Ve left the under bonnet insulation off, would of preferred to leave it on, and I might try sika flexing it back on, as I had my diesel freeze up a couple of months go, and I,m wondering if it was worse because of the lack of insulation

Ahhh good point- I haven't visited the high country yet! But your right it's worth the thought. I like it because it looks original "and that's the way I like to mod things- to make it look as factory as possible"! And it keeps the heat down- has your paint work been effected in anyway? Plus it Keeps the rattle'n hum of the motor down also.
Anyways it's not roadworthy with out it so I have found out- did you know that??? yup so effectively every "kit" sold has made the car un roadworthy "if they have done as per the instructions of cross country and removed this underlay" hence no insurance ! doh cross country! yup it's all new to me and i'm pissed! I have effectively paid some twat $1600 to have "me" fukc my own car ! Yyup to fix this the hole "I cut" in the bonnet "it has to be engineered " for insurance! Oh and it gets better and better! but I wont bore you with it but if your pissed too let me know! I need any advertisement you can find that made you purchase this "kit".. cheers vic

Ahhh good pics thanks Dave!
Oh for sure "love the sika" ! I carry a tube and some tek screws and a section of side wall i cut from a tyre for tyre side wall damage/hole repair- works a treat, just rest up for 12hrs and let it set...oh and I leave the tek's in :)

Look into Clark rubber for those clips or "alike".. even genuine can be well priced some times lol yes I cant remember the part but I have been surprised at the spares counter..... once i'm sure.... it may have been a dream ;)

Do you still have the insulation from your bonnet? I'll show you how I repaired mine with some body deadener - looks ok I think, you could paint the whole piece if it was damaged in any way.. pics to come
I like what you have done and will have to have another go at it... I'll take some pics tomorrow if I cant find some now... cheers and thanks dave

I reckon the under bonnet insulation is sitting on top of a shelf in the back of the shed, I only recently looked at it and contemplated tossing it out, glad I didn't, might try and mount it again, guessing as I earlier said I will try sika flex

I reckon the under bonnet insulation is sitting on top of a shelf in the back of the shed, I only recently looked at it and contemplated tossing it out, glad I didn't, might try and mount it again, guessing as I earlier said I will try sika flex

You will be glad you didn't throw it out- the wreckers want a small fortune for'em!

I see what you have done on yours and that's looks like what they said to do but mine has a body lift so the gap is huge- i'm looking for thicker foam tape from 3m so I will keep you posted... cheers vic

You will be glad you didn't throw it out- the wreckers want a small fortune for'em!

I see what you have done on yours and that's looks like what they said to do but mine has a body lift so the gap is huge- i'm looking for thicker foam tape from 3m so I will keep you posted... cheers vic

I remember seeing a couple of posts on fb maybe 12 months ago about the cross country cooler and the bloke ordering it to suit a body lift

I remember seeing a couple of posts on fb maybe 12 months ago about the cross country cooler and the bloke ordering it to suit a body lift

Ahhhh ok...thanks. I have also been looking at different types of "Pinch Weld seals" but the gap I have is at least 50mm so finding one that fills that gap is tricky- china has some great stuff and what I need but ordering through them is hard when the are advertising 500 to 1000mt rolls and I need 2mts :) unless you want some - 5mts sounds better than 2 ;)

A plastic fabricator should be able to manufacture a shroud similar to the scoop on the yd25 D22. Or you could fit some 50mm spacers under the cooler to bring it up closer to the bonnet (if that's possible).

Latest posts

Back