How do I find Top dead Centre? D40 RX

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D40NAVY

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm just trying to find the marks on how to have piston #1 Top Dead Centre, I can't seem to find the marks to line up. Is there something I'm missing? What should I look out for?

I've got the DVD version manual but can't find anything on it,

Thanks...

what a pain in the arse
how hard is cover to remove?
no timing marks on front crankshaft pully?

the old failsafe method is with a screwdriver in sparkplug hole , maybe some coat hanger wire in glow plug hole will do
why do you need to find tdc ?
goodluck
cheers

I know how to do that part, but do you need I make the crankshaft pulley line up to anything so it's top dead centre.? Others car won't start from being incorrect?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 1,875
Hi Navy, your picture with the yellow link on the chain shows you are not there yet. It's a right pain to turn the engine over by hand off the pully and you may have to go through 4 cycles to get the engine to TDC. Make sure you use a ratchet set to tighten, to ensure the engine is rotating in the correct direction.

When the coloured (they may be blue or yellow) chain links exactly line up with the dots on the sprockets you will be there. The dots will be at the 11 and 1 o'clock positions.

Good luck and be patient, you'll get there.

Last edited:
017_zpsa03736b3.jpg

018_zpsfc0b3624.jpg

As long as your marks match like this, you'll be fine. If you are removing the crankshaft pulley bolt, (it is a normal direction thread) it is on very tight but once off you'll see the woodruff keyway at the 12 o'clock position on the main shaft.

Thanks mate! I actually had a look at the chain then and it's got the yellow mark which Is only one, but there a 2 silver links that must be the two at the top, it's the same distance as yours.

Latest posts

Back