how do i get good flex in the ass end of my navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilto09

Reaction score
Hi I have a 2011 Thai built d40 st and I came across a trouble with flex on the weekend. It has 2 inch old man emu lift all round but the ass end doesn't wana flex at all. It has heavy duty springs in the back and I need to knock out a leaf which I now realise. Am getting longer shocks for it but what else can be done so it doesn't keep lifting a wheel off the ground all thetime??? Any advice is most aappreciated.

Hi I have a 2011 Thai built d40 st and I came across a trouble with flex on the weekend. It has 2 inch old man emu lift all round but the ass end doesn't wana flex at all. It has heavy duty springs in the back and I need to knock out a leaf which I now realise. Am getting longer shocks for it but what else can be done so it doesn't keep lifting a wheel off the ground all thetime??? Any advice is most aappreciated.
Yeah i agree it's hard to get the arse to flex try a bit lower you will surely come as well all the best

Personally I think in an IFS the rear is the only point you will get flex.

I think your on the right track with taking out a leaf or maybe even two depending on how many are in the stack now, and also what you intend on carrying in the back.

Also believe it or not if you remove your sway bar you will allow the front to work better, which intern activates the rear slightly more.
You can test it out by removing only one set of linkages from one side of the sway bar which effectively stops its normal function.
Then if you dont like it just bolt that one linkage back up, BUT if you do think its all good as i did remove the entire unit.

here are a few picks of my D40 flexing

this one shows the front almost on full extension compared to the other pics with the front at almost full compression

Last edited:
longer leafs with extended shackles and inverted rear shocks. taking leafs out will gain you more flex but you will sacrifice load rating and body roll and you will start to get axle wrap.
much bigger shocks are needed. you will probably find that your current ones are limiting you as it is.

longer leafs with extended shackles and inverted rear shocks. taking leafs out will gain you more flex but you will sacrifice load rating and body roll and you will start to get axle wrap.
much bigger shocks are needed. you will probably find that your current ones are limiting you as it is.

Do you think that removing a leaf out of a HEAVY DUTY leaf pack will cause more body roll then say a 200=kg set of springs?? I know a mate of mine who carries heaps of gear has got heavy duty leafs (understandably) but the only real difference between his leafs and mine are the actual amount of leafs in the stack...

From what video footage i have seen its EXTENDED shackles which cause AXLE wrap.

Yeah have been looking for longer shocks but most places don't make them for anything over a 2" lift. But found out the hilux rear shocks are the closest match so I will be getting some of them for now. It has a 7 leaf spring in the ass so I will be removing atleast one just need to work out which one to remove. Rang a fiew places today they said they will do it but wouldn't tell me which one to remove.

Do you think that removing a leaf out of a HEAVY DUTY leaf pack will cause more body roll then say a 200=kg set of springs?? I know a mate of mine who carries heaps of gear has got heavy duty leafs (understandably) but the only real difference between his leafs and mine are the actual amount of leafs in the stack...

From what video footage i have seen its EXTENDED shackles which cause AXLE wrap.

thats how leaf packs work man. taking leafs out of heavy duty will make them normal duty. im talking about taking them away till the point where you have 2 leafs to get maximum flex.
less leafs more flex/more body roll at speed and the in ability to carry gear.
im assuming youve never seen a leaf sprung rock crawler with dual transfer?

extended shackles are all about how you set up the shackle angle.

thats how leaf packs work man. taking leafs out of heavy duty will make them normal duty. im talking about taking them away till the point where you have 2 leafs to get maximum flex.
less leafs more flex/more body roll at speed and the in ability to carry gear.
im assuming youve never seen a leaf sprung rock crawler with dual transfer?

extended shackles are all about how you set up the shackle angle.

Sorry man i have never been outside of my room......:sarcastic:
I was thinking you realised he was only talking about "Knocking out A leaf" and i didnt think i read anywhere that he wanted to remove all but two leafs so thats why i asked the question of you, :hmmmm2:

Oh and yes mate i have seen a leaf sprung crawler, and i know how a leaf pack works thanks.

Just to let you know dude you sometimes come across in a wierd way, like the comment above,
I dont really want to start a blew, BUT i dont really know if you deliberately wanted to come across as a smart-arse and felt like you needed to talk down to me like you are some sort of wealth of knowledge that can never be challenged, BUT you sure did when i read it.

I'm in scone nsw champ. Yeah got a mate that's guns try and make dislocating shackles for wen I leave the black top. So guna c how that works out.

I'm in scone nsw champ. Yeah got a mate that's guns try and make dislocating shackles for wen I leave the black top. So guna c how that works out.

Ah ok, If you were closer to me i would of been able to suggest a few places that re-set leafs and would of been able to point out to you which one or two to get rid of.
My leaf pack only has five leafs but can handle a load when i need it to and still works OK off road even with no weight in it, like in the picks.

Last edited:
yer shocks play a big part,
what you can do it remove a leaf (from loaded leafs) or run standard leafs (mine) and run a helper coil, this still helps in load carrying but due to being a coil it has no adverse affect on flex also adds about 2 inch lift, also running extended shackles can give you a bit.

im stuck with a 3 inch rear sus lift with 2 inch extended shocks... so does anyone want to trade 3 for 2 inch rancho rs9000xl (10k on them)

I have been thinking about running longer leaves, extended shackles and modifying the rear tow bar to allow the shackle to travel further back. i think trition shocks are longer and nearly bolt in, aparently they use 16mm bolt, navara is 14mm bolt.
would also look at running inverted shock mounts as well

Coil spring rear is the way to go!!

Attachments

• IMG_1253.jpg
    IMG_1253.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1251.jpg
    IMG_1251.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 118
Coil spring rear is the way to go!!

Now thats just showing off ya bastard :happy_smile:

Talking to my cousin about your rig the other day, he cant stop raving about it.
You might have to watch he doesnt try and take it home after. :sarcastic:

Latest posts

Back