How do YOU Snatch

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch92

Reaction score
G'day

Just curious to see how people snatch others out. Have seen a few done recently and have had to shake my head. Anyone know the "correct technique"?

My way is that I connect it all up. Then 1st low range and basically idle, maybe slightly more revs (max 1200). If it comes sweet, if not reverse and gradually increase until the other vehicle comes. Using this technique I have pulled around 8 cars out with only one being very stubborn.

So, how do YOU snatch people out?

Agreed sometimes a light tug is all that is needed so no point in potentially causing damage when going gently does the job.

All depends on the situation if they r barely stuck a lift tug but if they r up to their sills in wet mud then something a little harder is needed

I have been told the safer alternative is to actually have the stuck car stand on his brakes, stretch the snatch strap to full extent with tension, stop the tow car, and let the brakes go on the 'stuckee'. Tension in the strap is supposed to d the rest.
Never seen it done but.

Only ever done it as per postings

Low range, take up the slack, then drive at a steady speed to a set distance up the road. No jerky movements, no brakes, just all about getting energy into the snatchy so it can pull the other person out.

That's how we learnt in a recovery course a few years back

You guys are all doing it correctly i stopped a bloke at inskip point he had joined 2 snatch straps together via a tiny 8mm d shackle and was full of piss with his kids running around about to have a go at at stuck cruiser and trailer being a licenced crane operator i have seen some silly moves but that would be the worst.
John

I assess the stiuation and generally taking up slack works a treat. But i have had to slingshot a couple of people.

I cannot say i am a fan of this method

Depends on severity for me. If the just need a little tug then sometimes i will even just take up the slack and pull them out. If they are stuck stuck then selecting an appropriate gear and snatching is the go. The recovery course i attended when i first got my 4wd told us to use 2nd low and go go go. Ive honestly never had to do that even recovery a Y62 from sitting on its chassis at lcmp.

Rusty

Latest posts

Back