How I bought a D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry 1960

Reaction score
Hi all
Just joined.
Have a 2007 D40 STX diesel.
Now for the story behind buying it.
Had a Landrover Discovery 97 TDI for 11 years, great vehicle.
Left for my Xmas holidays and headed north, got as far as Urunga just south of Coffs Harbor towing my Jayco outback Finch.
Looked down at the Temp gauge and WOW never seen it so high.
Now I now my Landies and they do not like heat, all I said was F@#k very loudly & pulled over to the side of the road.
My wife Leanne knew something bad had happened, but I just put my head on the steering wheel for maybe 20-30seconds she said and said nothing.
Then I told her calmly that the car was dead,correctly diagnosed the head gasket had blown.
First day of holidays, can you believe that, I can because shit always happens to me and I'm used to it.
I'm in NRMA so all was ok on that front.
Got towed to Yamba where we were heading so all good on the holiday front.
Now I was where I wanted to be on holidays,but had no way of getting home.No way was I spending anymore money on the landy, New head $3000, and that heat, a new reco engine needed in my opinion.
Now I love my camping so as soon as this happen I new the Disco was not going to get repaired, just put $3000 gearbox in just 4 months before (told you I'm used to shit happening to me) a duel cab ute would be good.
Toyota nar bet I'd pay a premium just for the name, Landrover no as I don't like the TD5 engine which would be the one's I'd look at.
Mazda or Nissan.
I had a Nissan 720 duel cab 2x2 many years ago and the crap I put that thing through was awesome, so on to the list, if not a Mazda BT50.
Crab the hire car the NRMA gave me and headed to Grafton to have a look.
First car yard was a D40 with everything I needed.
No will have a look around, which we did, nothing, the Gods had spoken the Nissan was the one.
Made an offer and that's how I became a proud owner of a D40.
When we did the deal we went for lunch at the local pub, on the way my thong broke and they would not let me in in bare feet, see told you I have shit luck.
All good on the way home I told Leanne that my left arm was numb, she though maybe be a heat attack, nar I said it was because of the lack of gear changers as this thing flies.
Anyway that's my story, sorry so long.
By the way all you guy's who think the D40 is hard to get off the line as in Turbo lag or what ever, take a TDI300 landy for a spin.
Any way
That's it folks.
Got a $1000.00 for the landy so I was happy.

Harry 1960
Yes the year I was born

PS I you are ever in Urunga please grab some fuel or what ever at the servo just north of the speed camera heading north (hickey's garage) these guys are the NRMA and are just Awesome.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Harry.

You didn't say whether your D40 was a manual or auto. If it's a manual and it still has its dual mass flywheel in, you might expect to change the clutch (and I'd change to a single mass flywheel at the same time) at some point. Unfortunately several of the current utes are the same. Nissan will drop the DMF later this year, rumour has it.

Hi Harry,

Thanks for your story. I also cooked the motor on my last 4WD, a Pajero towing my camper trailer up the hills north of Murrurundi. We were on our way home when it happened in January.

I am now looking for a replacement and the D40 is on the short list (circa 2007).

Cheers,

Hey welcome mate,shouldn;t be too hard for the d40 to treat you better than the old Landy.

Back