How much noise should my turbo make?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicksNav

Reaction score
Hi! im new to the forum and 4x4 in general i'll try not to be too much of a noob! :)

Just brought a 2006 d22 Series 2 (135000km) and the noise under boost is quite Noticeable.
I have read some horror stories of turbos going on the D22 so im just wondering if theres a potentual issue.

The Car seems pretty much stock

The sound is sort of a high pitched whistle (or a siren in the distance) and for some reason seems worse in the morning, after driving for a while it is still there but not as loud. the turbo seems to be doing its job, theres no loss of boost

My mate has a 2004 D22 and his makes the same sort of sound but not as loud or noticeable.

Iv had it into the local 4x4 guys to get checked out and I have checked all hoses/clamps (there in top condition)

Guess im just wondering if im being paranoid and the turbo is just noisy on this series or should i look into it more?

Cheers

Hey,
Does the car have a snorkel? If it does the noise can be more noticeable.
They should make a bit of noise, that's just how they work.

It does sound like one of the common(ish) symptoms of these motors, that is a leak from the egr system, this can casue a noticable whistle. Replace the gaskets on the egr system (only a couple of buck each).

Also, check the play in the shaft of the turbo.

If i were you, i would replace the turbo or fit an intercooler. It is very cheap insurance (around $1k). Yours is right in the danger zone for turbo failure, unless you know the service history is credible. If it does go, you will be up for $10k or more to fix it, or fit a second hand motor for half of that. Thats just my opinion anyway.

No snorkel Steedjo although its on the list.

Cheers simonk8 should i just do that egr mod instead?
Will i need to replace the gasket on the turbo if i take the front off to check the play?

you might be right, might be worth it for peace of mind , the service history is dodgy at best. they guys "mate" has dont most of the servicing by the looks.

No snorkel Steedjo although its on the list.

Cheers simonk8 should i just do that egr mod instead?
Will i need to replace the gasket on the turbo if i take the front off to check the play?

you might be right, might be worth it for peace of mind , the service history is dodgy at best. they guys "mate" has dont most of the servicing by the looks.

You can pull the turbo inlet off without needing to replace the gasket. Mine makes more noticble whistle when cold. I blocked off the egr but it didnt make a difference. Last i checked my turbo it felt ok for play as well.

Mine has 110,000 on the clock. Im thinking i might have a small exhaust leak that closes up when hot, but not 100% sure. Need to have a good look when i get a chance. Been a few blokes on here who have a louder whistle when cold. I also try not to rev it too high when cold. By the time the temp needle starts moving all seems good.

Mine has 118000kms and has a similar whistle .... Sounds like a human whistle does it at 7psi without fail then on the way back past 7 psi after i back off ... Its louder in morning.... I have inspected the turbo twice in the last 5000kms has zero shaft play intake and exhaust fins are in perfect condition.... Mine has the normal very high pitched turbo spool that is normal on any turbo car ive owned.... But this is different

I saw a vid on here the other day and the nav had the same noise

Bottom of this link.... Turn it up

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=16176&page=4

Last edited:
i was actually gunna say how bout u take a vid of wat urs sounds like so we can see if its the same or not?

Ive had my fair share with turbos, you can end up chasing your tail.

Take the turbo inlet manifold off, check for scoring around the outer surface of the turbo (where the inlet wheel spins), check for shaft play (it shouldnt be able to touch the walls).... Also if your really picky, take dump pipe off and check for exhaust wheel abnormalities.
check- wastgate line.
Check EGR tube, or simple block it off at turbo side and inlet manifold if your really paranoid.
Get some new turbo T clamps.
look for soot around the exhaust manifold, turbo exhaust flange, and dump pipe flange.

you could probably dig deeper but rule these out first.

Last edited:
mines getting annoying....sounds like low pitched human whistle....

ive triple checked egr....no soot anywhere....checked around turbo....no soot

i found 4 loose bolts holding the compressor housing the the chra of the turbo.....i tightened them and was happy i found the issue......but no....still there.....im thinking its my filter whistling or something

does it at 2,500rpm every time....EXCEPT when its stone cold

when does the egr function? im trying to rule out something here....but i havnt been able to yet

Latest posts

Back